Dog rips both her wings off!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilling in muscadine, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Yesterday while I was feeding my chickens one of my pitt bulls gets out of his pen. I had rescued this dog three years ago and he has never gotton out before. He ran to a pen and tore into it with me fighting him the whole time. I screamed for my old man who was sleeping{he works nights}. My neighbor who lives a good peice away also heard me and came running. By the time my old man and neighbor got to us the dog had ripped off one wing and had the other in his mouth and its ripped almost completly off. The hen he attacked is a half grown game hen I hatched earlier this year. She is totally tame.

I have her in the house with heat, she is in a brooder by herself but there are baby peepers in the room. She is on electrolytes and terramycin on her food. I didn't know if I could mix meds with the electrolytes. She is eating some and drinking but I think she is still in shock. I'm keeping her quiet as possible. One wing was a clean break at her back{side} the other will have to gome off. I didn't want to cause more trama until I knew if she would live. I'm doing this is the dark. I don't really know what to do.

Any suggestions on how I can HELP her would be nice. Please nothing negative about the pitt bull or culling her. I can't take it right now. I'm in shock myself. Heart is broke. I'm beating myself up enough over this.

It was my responsibility to keep the dog in check and keep my girl safe and I failed. [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    All I could say is take it to the vet and have him look at her wings. Im sure she could live w/o them.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
  4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    OMG! I am soooo sorry! The only thing I can say is to clean the open wound and maybe use blue kote or triple antibiotic on it to ward off infection. This is so horrible! I hope she makes it and I wish you the best of luck in treating her. Keep us all posted on her condition. [​IMG]

5. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I had a bantam rooster that had his wing almost torn off and the bone showing and shattered. Not as bad as your hen from the sounds of it. I kept him quiet and on antibotics for a couple weeks. He pulled thru, I sure hope your hen makes it.

6. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:One wing is gone and the other is barely hanging on. It was a clean break. Hardly any blood.

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If it's really just barely hanging on then the tissue will probably die and then you should just be able to clip it the rest of the way off. Don't do it while she still has feeling in it though.

8. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:This is what I was thinking. I want to make sure she is not still in shock before I do anything to her. This is a terrible situation all the way around. I haven't slept at all and I'm just sick over this.

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Has anyone had a chicken without wings and if so what kind of special needs did you do for the bird. [​IMG]

10. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    sorry about that. It may need extra heat in winter. you should probably take it to an avian vet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by