dog seatbelts/car harnesses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I am looking into a set belt harness for my dog. I thought just tying her in the car was enough, until she rolled the window down and jumped out . [​IMG] Does anyone use these, can you recommend one product over another? I need one Sweet Pea can't wiggle out of as well. She is a supreme collar slipper. Oh, she is a terrier/bird dog mix roughly about 40 lbs. Thanks!

2. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    We used one of these with our doberman. I don't remember the brand but if you go to a place like Petco or Petsmart they should have them. The most important part is to get one that fits properly. Ask the for the trainer in these stores. They are usually pretty good with fitting all types of harnesses including the ones you use with seat belts.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you. I will take Sweet (yeah right) Pea to Petsmart and see what they have. I'll have someone help me fit her too. I appreciate your advice.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    This was my plan for long car rides. I was going to put a regular harness on our dog, then loop a regular 4 or 5 foot leash through the car seat hooks in the backseat of the car and attach it to the ring on the harness. That way she's secured to the backseat but can still move around a little bit. I think it would have worked pretty well, but we haven't had to use it yet. This web site has tons of car restraints and harnesses.

http://www.drsfosterandsmith.com/

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you Chicken Toes, that website has a lot of options in it.

6. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i use car harnesses for my little ones, ive seen what happens to unrestrained dogs

http://www.ruffrider.com/
    have very good ones.

i use guardian gear car harnesses for mine as there small and ive found the ruff rider dont quite fit right on anything under 10lbs.

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Thank you bagend hens, I like that site too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by