Dog Self Mutilation Deterent

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Stacykins, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    So my sister basically adopted an elderly dog from a family friend who suffered a stroke, he can no longer care for the dog (or himself for that matter). Paulie is a good old girl, but she has an issue where she constantly chews and licks at one single spot on one of her front legs. She has been to the vet many times for it, and they eventually just ruled it to be sort of a neurological issue. Much like when some people with Alzheimer's disease sometimes itch or claw at themselves even when there isn't an itch present.

Short of making poor Paulie wear the cone of shame 24/7/365, does anyone have any ideas of what could help? The location is kept clean and dry, and wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. Thankfully careful dedication has taken care of any open wound (when my sister first got her, the dog had been not well tended for a while because the family was focusing on the friend with the stroke. Paulie was fed and whatnot, just not prevented from self harming). Bitter apple doesn't really deter interest in her leg for very long. She'll lick, make an icky face...forget a few minutes later, lick again, icky faced, etc. until all the bitter apple is gone and then she goes to town.

The vet wrap doesn't even stop her. She'll lick and chew at it, and eventually work it off her leg. It isn't so much of an issue if someone is home to verbally tell her to stop, which distracts her from it. But for running errands, work, etc. nobody can be there to stop it.

Other than her doggy dementia, Paulie is at least a very happy, healthy dog. She would have had to go to the shelter or be put down if my sister hadn't taken her in. And since she is 12 years old, she likely wouldn't have found a home at the shelter, either.

2. Garciafarm

Garciafarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    ok here is what work for me. my sisters dog had a same thing exept that he would chew the top of his tailbone. what i did. was i let him heel very good and after it was heel i pup some Jalape

3. Garciafarm

Garciafarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    no pepper on the fur not on the skin and i did that for about 2 moths and now he dont do it no more. and some people said to me that that was mean but i just told them that it was a whole lot better that him bitting his tail off.

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I used the Bitter Apple spray for my Papillon and Corgi who occasionally did that. Stopped the chewing dead in its tracks.

5. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
  6. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    She could try soaking (and then letting dry before use) the outer wrap in jalopeno (?) or super hot sauce.

7. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    there are also soft cones that may work, or the dog could be muzzle trained to a wire basket muzzle. They arent bad if you train them to it

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Have you taken her to a vet? It sounds like she has a lick granuloma. My Lab had one once that started from an itchy spot on his front leg. The vet gave me some medicine to put on it to help it heal. Once it healed, he stopped the licking and chewing and never had another one.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    That DogLeggs boot may be just the thing Paulie needs! Thanks!!

Christine, as I stated in the original post, she has been to the vet many times because of it. We know it is a lick granuloma. She has been tested for allergies, skin disorders, etc. and it turned up nothing. Diet isn't it either.

10. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I didn't know if you have taken her to a vet or if that was the previous owner. Sometimes getting a second or even third opinion is helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by