Dog shook chicken

Keiki

Chirping
May 19, 2022
I have never had a problem with my dog she is trained very wel and never touched any of my chickens over the years she even protects them from outside critters. Today I look outside and she is dragging one of them through the yard and shook her .. it’s awful I have no idea what started this. She has no blood but is keeping her self stiff and not doing anything. How likely will she make it through the night after being shook like that ? And has anyone have their dog turn on the chickens after years ?

How is her breathing? Her eye movement? She is in shock. He could have hurt her neck or back as well.

This happens with dogs. We can have the best farm dogs and then BAM something triggers them and they go nuts with the chickens. Sort of like the chase instinct taking hold.

I’m so sorry this happened. We all get comfortable with our well behaved dogs. This could absolutely happen to me too.

I’m sorry!

How is her breathing? Her eye movement? She is in shock. He could have hurt her neck or back as well.

This happens with dogs. We can have the best farm dogs and then BAM something triggers them and they go nuts with the chickens. Sort of like the chase instinct taking hold.

I’m so sorry this happened. We all get comfortable with our well behaved dogs. This could absolutely happen to me too.

I’m sorry!
Her breathing seemed fine eyes where very wide but she never got op on her perch for the night .. hopefully it’s just shock but i think it might be more serious. We will see as soon as the sun is up 🙏

Sorry about the injury. Try getting the chicken to drink some electrolytes, water with sugar, or Poultry NutriDrench and some water for shock. Offer both dry feed and try wetting a little feed or egg. Fluids are needed most now. Hopefully there are not any internal injuries from squeezing or shaking her. Time will tell. I had a problem with my pullets jumping up on and over a 4 foot fence into my yard where my golden retriever found them and would chase them and mouth them. The third one over a couple of weeks, who had no marks on her, died. We used a shock collar exactly twice on him with the body there to tempt him. It worked so well that we later had several chickens who lived in our yard, and no dogs ever bothered them, and the collar was put away. But I never would trust them with young chicks or pullets.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Keeping her hydrated is definitely the number one priority. Keeping her in a warm place might also be beneficial. Unfortunately no dogs should be left unsupervised with chickens, unless they are properly trained LGDs, because you never know what can happen from one second to another

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Keeping her hydrated is definitely the number one priority. Keeping her in a warm place might also be beneficial. Unfortunately no dogs should be left unsupervised with chickens, unless they are properly trained LGDs, because you never know what can happen from one second to another
She is properly trained that’s what makes me so baffled by this we have had her for years and never went through anything like this .. never killed a single thing. We have 2 and my other dog knew not to get involved and was pacing in front of my door trying to tell me . She seems so be doing ok now I got really lucky !

Sorry about the injury. Try getting the chicken to drink some electrolytes, water with sugar, or Poultry NutriDrench and some water for shock. Offer both dry feed and try wetting a little feed or egg. Fluids are needed most now. Hopefully there are not any internal injuries from squeezing or shaking her. Time will tell. I had a problem with my pullets jumping up on and over a 4 foot fence into my yard where my golden retriever found them and would chase them and mouth them. The third one over a couple of weeks, who had no marks on her, died. We used a shock collar exactly twice on him with the body there to tempt him. It worked so well that we later had several chickens who lived in our yard, and no dogs ever bothered them, and the collar was put away. But I never would trust them with young chicks or pullets.
Im thinking of doing the same .. the only thing is she is properly trained and is one of my 2 lgds. Had her for years has never killed a single thing not even my baby chicks . I have no idea what got in to her. I also don’t know how to approach this because I want her to follow them around still . I will have to do some research.

Was this hen by any chance a bully or aggressive at times to other flock members? I'm just wondering if it's possible that since your dog is an LGD if perhaps your hen might have shown behavior that triggered your dog into seeing her as a threat to the rest of the flock.

That's something that crossed my mind. Although *typically* LGDs are not supposed to react to any in-flock matters, only to outside predators

Back
Top Bottom