Dog Showed Up at Our House

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by drdoolittle, Aug 5, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    A young male dog showed up at our house this morning. I don't have a clue as to whether he belongs to neighbors or was dumped, but don't want him around. He's probably about a year old, and of course is intact. He keeps bothering our female 10 yr.old GSD----just constantly following her and trying to go in her house with her. He's nice enough, and very pretty----white with gorgeous red-brindle markings. I just don't want this dog---most likely a pit-mix---or any dog right now. We have 4---all 4 are rescue dogs. Now, maybe if it were, say, a Great Pyrenees I'd consider keeping him. But this dog most certainly won't be something I can train to guard my chickens, goats, and pot belly pigs.

I'm really hoping it belongs to one of the neighbors. The people right next to us got 2 pups this spring, and I haven't seen them, but I know one is brown and white. I kind of don't think he's theirs, because I can't see them letting a dog of theirs run loose with no collar and the dog has several ticks on his ears. They've always taken excellant care of their dogs. The only other possibility is some people who moved in down the road this spring. They have 3 horses the keep fenced with electric tape and no shelter. Well, I'll find out tomorrow, and if he's a stray, I'll have to take him to the local shelter. He's just causing to many problems with my 2 indoor dogs----I have to confine him in order to take them out. Just needed to vent.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Since you have birds, the dog is intact and you do not wish to keep him, I would call animal control. If someone lost him, that is the first place they will look anyways. Good luck!!!! [​IMG]

3. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    If you take him to a shelter take his to HELP the animals in Richmond...WONDERFUL shelter! They have a facebook if you care to look. Richmond is east central IN.

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, if he has to go to a shelter, I'll take him to the one close to me----it's where we got one of our dogs. They are wonderful there, and don't euthanise (sp?) many animals. They are especially great about adopting out pitbull and pitbull-mixes. Most shelters will summarily put down any dog they suspect has any pit in it. He's a nice enough dog, seems to like other dogs and kind of submissive toward people. Hopefully he belongs to our closer neighbors----I'm surprised they haven't been out looking for him today.

Also, my hubby did see this dog in our yard one evening last week, but the dog ran off down the road. We were gone on vacation this week, and the dog just was out on the back porch with my GSD this morning at 8. Our GSD was not here all week, but in bording at our vet----makes me wonder if the stray was using her doghouse all week. [​IMG]

Just edited to add that the shelter here will not come out to pick up any animal w/o charging a fee----even if it's not your dog. They just don't have the funds to send someone out to do that.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, he doesn't belong to any of the neighbors. [​IMG] He's a really nice dog, too bad someone dumped him. I think he's probably a Jack Russell/Boxer cross.

Here's pics. of him-------anyone interested in adopting him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's very healthy, and I treated him with Revolution (heartworm, flea and tick prevenative and also treats ear mites and mange). He does hold one back leg up at times as if it's been injured-----reminds me of when our boxer tore a ligament. No treatment for that except rest. I'll have to take him to the local shelter on Tues. afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by