Dog sick with long term illness...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CTChickenMom, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    My dog, who will be 10 in May, was diagnosed with Cushings disease today. Our vet, lovely lady that she is, is putting together an estimate of what it will cost to treat it. There is a new drug in the US recently approved by the FDA but widely used in Europe for years. DH has had him since he was about 8wks old. He decided that we can't afford expensive long term treatment and truthfully, we can't. A monthly script is one thing but bloodwork is costly. I'm dreading the call from the vet. I'm trying to think positive thoughts. Putting a pet down is never easy. [​IMG]

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    No, it isn't easy...we had to put down our boxer two summers ago, she was ten and we'd had her since she was 5 weeks. It was hard, but you know...it was the best thing to do for her, and we knew it.
    When I was young our family dog came down with cushings, and we had to put her down as well. It is very hard, but sometimes it is the most fair.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to make that decision. [​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    *hugs* No, it's never easy. I had to euthanize my mare who was diagnosed with Cushins. [​IMG]

I just couldn't afford the treatments.

Even with the treatment Cushins affects the whole body. Which means, that they can do alright but their immune systems are constantly in a "stressed" state. Leaving them more vulnerable for other things that come their way.

5. CTChickenMom

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I am not looking forward for what is to come, treatment or not. Treatment will at least help to stave off the side effects of the Cushings. I hate seeing animals in decline. He's usually quite perky but you can see how drained he is even in an excited state. I'll know more on Friday.

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I had to have my wolf put down two years ago for bladder cancer...he was 13 years old. It was the hardest thing I ever did in my life.

But, when it came right down to it...it was not about me it was all about him and what was best for him. Keep that in mind when you try to make a decision. Had I been given the option of paying 50,000.00 to save Ben and him be 'himself' after surgery and treatment, I would have sold everything I owned to do it but to prolong his life, cause him to last longer but again feel more pain...you could not have given me 500,000.00 to do that.

We are not only obligated to them to provide food, love, safe housing...we are also responsible for protecting them and giving them the best care we can....sometimes that means saying 'good-bye'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. CTChickenMom

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Yes, I'm preparing for that possibility. He will have four sets of blood work done after treatments starts (don't know what that will cost yet), one at 10 days, 3 months, 6 months and one year, then one for each following year. Each test is $250. They test to make sure the drug is doing as it should. Won't know until Monday or so what the medication will actually cost. [​IMG]

9. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Quote:Beautifully put. [​IMG]

CTCM: I'm so very sorry about the decisions you will be faced with. I know you will do whats right for your dog and know that there are many of us here that are hoping for the best. We are here to support you. [​IMG]

10. CTChickenMom

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Thank you all...its good to have a place to talk about it. The support is comforting. I only talk about the technical stuff from the vet to my DH, I'm sure its not something that he wants brought up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by