Dog Suggestions

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
I'm not quite sure where the best place to ask this is:Can anyone recommend a breed of dog that is generally noted for not chasing and eating chickens? Are there particular breeds to avoid? Our dog died unexpectedly this morning. She was extremely protective of our chickens- she never chased them, and she kept predators away.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Laura

I have a Great Pyrenees girl
love.gif
...she is good with the chickens, ducks, geese and my cats.

Probably a good idea to start with a puppy or one already trained or used to chickens.

Sorry about your dog.
hugs.gif

Thanks, you guys. Do Pyreneees tend to be road safe? I'll do some research as well, but just wondered about your personal experience. Our dog could never enjoy our acreage, because if/ when she got loose she'd head for traffic.

Laura

Well if you want a small dog, Lasa Apso's are great! Ours has never hurt a fly.
I recommend avoiding Huskies. There have been quite a few that eat chickens around here.

I have a pair of golden retrievers, one is now eleven years old and the other just turned sevben years. I have only had chickens now for four months. I kept the brooder in the family room and the older dog (Jewel) would check on them if they got real loud, like a mother hen.
Now the pullets and two turkeys can run all over the yard and not be bothered by the dogs at all, except maybe when Jewel feels the rest of what I put out to feed them is now hers.
Jem, the younger golden, would help herd the chicks out from under the deck when I asked too.
I would trust them with my girls lives. They got mad the other day because they could not scare the squirrel out of the run.

I would recomend a GP pup that you can teach not to chase cars and socialize with your birds while its young and they will generally ward off preditors. people i know who have had them have better luck with females than males as the males tend to wander off and females will stay with their livestock and family.

Our poultry man breeds all sorts of heritage birds and lives way out in the middle of nowhere....fox, coyotes, skunks, etc...the whole 9 yards. When we first went to pick up our babies, I thought his guard dog was a GP but when I inquired he said it was a Marema [sic]. The dog was fabulous with his kids (there were four of them from a knee baby to 9 years old and those that were mobile were wide open), engaging & friendly with us, and VERY watchful over the livestock & birds. She had a lot to watch and it was almost surreal to watch her make the rounds...she literally checked on all the animals, would then lay down near the baby goats' pen, then get up about 15-20 minutes later and do the same round. A GREAT dog.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...our boxer is plotting with the cat as to who gets what chicken if they ever escape.
roll.png

Meanwhile back at the ranch...our boxer is plotting with the cat as to who gets what chicken if they ever escape.

grey pony, that was too funny, I have a brittany, having a bird dog and chickens along with a cockatiel is always interesting, she is watched like a hawk!! LOL but really funny to watch her "point them" LOL

Back
Top Bottom