Dog that will kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cetawin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If this is a problem, take a look at this video. It has some very good information in it...as well as stopping the problem.

http://www.self-sufficient-life.com/1/DogVideo

each dog is different of course, but there may be useful info here

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    This method worked great on my two big dogs. Unfortunately, the mini doxie had to be rehomed. My sister could not believe I would choose the chickens over the dog! The dog was my mom's until she passed away, so I brought her to my brother.

3. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    Wow, thanks for the link. I'm going to try this!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are welcome. It cannot hurt to have some training behind you when they are together. [​IMG]

Sorry to hear about the mini doxie ... the little dogs seem to be the worse...maybe it is because the chicken is bigger [​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I did this with my dog before I new who cesar malan was now she goes after other dogs trying to go after the chickens. I will try this again with my neighbors dog if they will let me he got on of my chickens a few weeks ago and still tries I did dominate him then but I need more consistancy like every day for 10 minuets or somthing.

Henry

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    this is EXACTLY how i trained my dogs!!!!! And one of them is a hunting dog WHPG, and the other a rottie. i now can let my chickens free range with my dogs out and not have a problem. the other day Rocky(rottie) was laying in the sun and one of the hens came and pecked at his collar--he looked up, sniffed and went back to sleep.. Sometimes, jager (WHPG-- hunting dog) tries to play with them--I gotta keep a closer eye on her...

7. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    My lab mix is definitely a bird dog, but he knows the chickens are mine. He checks on them several times thruout the day. Such a cool dog!

8. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I love this method, though I have to admit I was doing it long before I knew who Cesar was.

In addition to doing this, I have taught Buddy to "check" on the chickens in the brooder. He sniffs the brooder and sits down, he gets a treat. He lays down and lets the chicks crawl on him, he gets praised. He didn't take too long to learn that the chicks are "ours" and that they are NOT toys or food. When they are let out of the brooder on the living room table for a nibble of a treat in the evening, he sniffs them all over and then lays under the table. It's nice [​IMG]

9. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    lol, that fella said "I'm a daddy!!"

Poor hen, she probably didn't know WHAT to think!

However, I'm definitely going to try this with my dogs. They are sneaky, though, will pretend not to be interested, but the moment my back is turned....off they go.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I got two new hens the other day and my dog freaked out she was running around sniffing going these aren't mine now she has to go to the quarantine coop and the main chicken tractor two check on her two groups [​IMG] she also helps me hear them only when I ask her to and she is good.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by