dog throwing up?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kittykorat, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    We got a rescue dog a couple weeks ago..

I already brought her to the vet last friday, clean bill of health.

She throws up frequently... maybe once a day.

Why?

She poops regularly, and is very active.. so I don't think she has a blockage...

???

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some dogs have "wimpy" stomachs. When I got my Boston Terrier 13 years ago, The people who had him said he would have to be on a strict diet for his sensitive stomach. We fed him the same as the other dogs, & in a short time he was not barfing anymore. Now he can eat Anything & Everything. He now has a cast iron stomach. Since you've had your dog to the vet, It should "grow out" of it. Good luck.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That could be SO many reasons. My male dog just has a "nervous stomach" and throws up a little sometimes...he eats a lot of grass, which makes it worse then. Your dog could be eating too quickly, which upsets his stomach. He's in a new situation recently, so it could be nerves...
    Since he just got a clean bill of health, I wouldn't worry too much unless it's a LOT of throw up every day (like he's losing all the food he ate and is getting dehydrated).

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My lab, 13 year old, is the same way. The ONLY food we found that he can eat easily is Ranch Hound. It's one of the worst foods, but he can at least keep it down.

Ol' Roy made him throw up Wed. mornings at 3AM religiously. Found out recently that he has ongoing pancreatitis.

5. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Look up megaesophagus. Just a thought.

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    When and what is the dog throwing up?

7. kittykorat

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    Quote:usually mushy dog food. today she threw up some bile...

I doubt it is the megasophagus thing. I think it is because she is bolting her food down....?

8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Are you feeding her once a day?

Some dogs react to an empty stomach and several small meals a day are better than just one meal.
    And you saying that she is puking up the Bile it may be because of the empty stomach. Then her gobbling up the food to fast because she is starving then causing her to puke because her system can't handle all that food at once.

I don't have any other ideas. Hope you can find out why and have her feeling better.

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

10. kittykorat

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    We were feeding her 2x/day... but I think I will do something I saw in a dog training video.. use a handful of dog kibble like "treats" to train a few times a day..(in addition to 2 meals/day) That way she is not getting an overload of treats, and she doesn't have an empty stomach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by