Dog training - I'm a failure

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Aug 28, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When we first brought our younger german shepherd Kane home, Jax (our older GSD) was ecstatic to have a baby brother. Jax didn't want to let Kane get out of his sight, but we did make a huge effort to keep them apart for most of the day; while we trained Kane. Now, at 8 months and 17 months old they are as thick as thieves. They do stay pretty much apart at home, Kane with me and Jax with "Daddy". It's easy to tell whose dog each one is. The only time they hang out together is when they go out to play (our yard is almost an acre large) and when DH and I are in the same room.
    When they go outside the first thing they do is Jax patrols the fence line, Kane patrols the house perimeter. This isn't something we've taught them, just something that comes naturally to them.
    We took them to town last night and ran into a problem. After riding around for awhile we stopped at the police dept. so DH could talk to a couple of his officers. Kane loved on both officers when I let him. Despite the fact that Jax is used to the uniforms and liked the one officer, he definitely didn't like the other, younger officer - the officer was showing alot of fear.
    The problem we ran into is that I couldn't take either dog for a walk around the PD parking lot without the other dog getting very upset.
    I would like to take the dogs for walks on our farm, rather than them just playing in the yard, and Kane needs the walks because of his weight. I can't take one without the other getting very upset. Due to my handicap, I can't handle two large GSDs at once.
    I guess I failed dog training 101 that they can't be seperated without pitching a royal fit. [​IMG]

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Okay. Get a doggy treat and tell Jax to sit. When he does, give him the treat. Then get another and tell him to sit. Once he sits tell him to 'down'. Put the hand with the treat under him and he should lay down. Once he lays down, give him the treat. Lastly, get one more treat, tell him to sit, then lay down. Once he does put your hand in front of him like you are telling him to *STOP* and say 'Stay'. After saying that, he should still be laying down and waiting for the treat. After 'stay' walk around the room with the treat in your hand for about a minute. If he stays the whole time and doesn't run for the treat, give him the treat while he is laying down and then say 'Release' meening 'You can get up and do what you want now'. The whole time you are doing that keep Kane in another room. After you finish that prosess with Jax do the same with Kane. Once the yare both taught to sit, lay down, and stay, youc can tell one of them to 'sit' and 'stay' while you take the other on a short walk around the back yard. If he stays, give him a treat. PM me if it works!!!
    Good luck!!!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Both dogs know "sitz" (sit) "platz" (down/lay down) and "bleib" (stay), as well as many other commands. Jax has been trained as my helper - he will pick up things I drop, take things from room to room for me, etc. They have been trained well. They just raise a ruckus if seperated. They won't necessarily ignore the command to bleib, but they make enough noise to raise the dead calling to each other.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww.. brotherly love... [​IMG]

So what did Jax do to the younger cop that he didnt like? Just his posture? Or growl?

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Let's just say that the guy never left his patrol car and kept the window partially up, just in case. [​IMG] Jax gave a "come here so I can eat you" growl.

6. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Put one in the crate while you exercise with the other. You might start by randomly crating one while the other is loose and unable to join him. Have hubby take one for a car ride while the other is crated. It would be best to break this habit now, before it gets to a full blown separation anxiety.
    Slinky

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

The guide dog I was socializing had a "No noise" command- which I did, but thought was dumb as he was going to be a guide dog and an audible signal that something is wrong is more useful then a nonverbal signal.

(Need to go out, or danger)

Now I understand that barking at everything, or ever showing aggression is a no-no but really- how long might an unharnessed guide stand at the back door looking at his handler needing to go out?

Try "No Noise" (or in German the word for 'enough' ('basta' in Italian) and lightly squeeze the bridge of the snout closed - praise when quiet is achieved with verbal and scratches.

8. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Do they pull when you walk them? Is this the reason you can't take them both, or something else?

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Do they pull when you walk them? Is this the reason you can't take them both, or something else?

No, not bad pullers. I'm just have a kind of clumsy gait and my arms tire quickly, so I have to be able to switch arms frequently. Almost impossible to do with two dogs, without us all getting tangled up and ending up in a pile.

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Gotcha, then your simplest solution is to get a 'link' between the dogs. Hook their two collars together and hitch the leash in between, kinda like having a couple sled dogs in front of you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by