Dog training

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by huntingirl, Feb 11, 2016.

1. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    I have a Chesapeake bay retriever and she is a killing machine. When he gets the chance she kills. We recently lost and had injured 2 chickens because she got out. Any ideas on what to do? She's a pure bred bird dog, so...

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, dog(and owner) training would be a good idea.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Better managment to contain and prevent the dog from engaging in self-reinforcing behavior until training is complete.

Reinforce chicken enclosure should management measures fail.

Escape/avoidance training with a remote collar. (I recommend Dogtra or Tritronics.)

4. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    Ok. Thx. We are going to take her out on the leash this weekend

5. poorfarm

poorfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2016
    In general, you will likely find that you have to keep any bird dog separated from your poultry, going after birds is in the genes. However, retrievers aren't supposed to harm or maul the birds they pick up in their mouth. For training a dog to leave poultry alone, the best, fastest, most effective method I've tried is the electric shock collar, same as use to train those field trial retrievers. I bought a Maremma pup to guard my poultry, and the breeder recommended this. (Maremmas are sort of hardwired to protect things like sheep and goats, but need help to extend that idea to small feathered things).

In my area, these collar trainers are available from TSC (Tractor Supply Center) and Rural King stores. Best wishes for an amicable ceasefire between your critters.

6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Whatever you do, don't buy a Petsafe collar. Their collars are crap.

7. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    We have a collar. Not sure what brand anymore. It's worked very well for years

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by