dog training?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Master1, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    I am getting Easter ducklings. I already have chickens but one of my dogs killed one of them. I was wondering if there was a way to make my dogs and ducklings friends or at least not enemies? I have a brittany (my good dog who doesn't care about the chickens much) and an american eskimo dog (the cold hearted killer. jk) Can you train them not to kill chickens and will it be hard with the brittany because they are hunting dogs?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    if the Brittany already ignores the chickens, that is good. American Eskimos, though, have a HUGE amount of prey drive.

Your best bet is careful supervision and never ever ever letting the dog around the birds unsupervised. You might also have to keep the eskie on a leash.

3. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    thanks weve started that but she just chews through them even the metal cables! shes so wierd thans for the info.

[​IMG]

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    if you are standing right there with her, no she can't chew through the leash that fast. As soon as she takes it into her mouth, give a leash pop and tell her NO. A leash is only meant to give you a handle for the dog. They shouldn't be tied up with one.
    The dogs should NOT be anywhere outside if you aren't right beside them. If they must be outside alone, then it's in a secure kennel - concrete floor and roof included if she is an escape artist and most northern breeds are.
    If you aren't outside, the dogs are contained or the chickens are contained. If you can't trust her not to try to get into the chicken pen, she is either leashed right at your side or in a kennel that she can't escape from.

Every time you let her fulfill her desire to chase the birds, you are making it 1000% harder to train out of her. Being a northern breed noted for extreme prey drive, it's likely you will never train it out of her anyway. It's just their nature - it moves, they chase. It's like trying to get a beagle not to sniff or a wolf not to howl. You can take steps to manage it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by