Dog Treats...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    So I am training my dog Zoey and I was wondering what type of treats to use. I have been using cheerios but I don't know how healthy they are for her. So I am looking for a healthy dog treat (possible homemade) that I can use for training, any ideas?

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    cooked liver is awesome and holds together well. Many professional dog trainers use this. I use cooked pieces of venison (left over from dinner) while working with my pups at handling classes. They love it. It is very aromatic which really gets their attention. I don't like baked treats because they crumble and leave bits of crumbs on the ground that the dog wants to stop and clean up.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    freeze dried liver is a good one.

Or here is a recipe for baked liver treats

Liver Brownies
    20 oz. chicken livers
    2 cups flour
    2 tbsp. garlic powder

Puree livers in processor
    Add flour and garlic powder, process until smooth. It will be thick, like brownie dough.

Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with Pam. Pour the dough into the prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
    Cool. Cut into squares. Freeze.
    Will keep ~3months in freezer, 3 days in fridge.

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I used little bits of cooked chicken breast kept in a baggie in my pocket.

5. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    string cheese is also an awesome treat [​IMG]

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:this is too funny, my dogs won't touch liver with a ten foot pole. My cats, on the other hand....

7. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    I baked liver treats once. The dogs loved them. My husband clmplained for days about the smell! Lol

8. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    I baked liver treats once. The dogs loved them. My husband clmplained for days about the smell! Lol

9. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:yeah as I was reading over that recipe I was thinking how BAD that must smell while baking. Think I'd have to take the toaster oven out on the porch and bake it there!

I was talking to a handler at a show recently and she said she loves using string cheese because of how well it holds together.

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I think I am going to use some cheese and some cheerios for now. I want to keep some what of a variety so that she doesn't get bored with it. She isn't a very food obsessive dog to begin with. I don't have any liver. I once had a recipe for peanut butter dog treats but they were awfully crummy.
    Thank you all for your input so far! You guys are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by