dog trubles

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kane, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    My dog is trying to kill my chickens. He tries to break the fence. Any cure?
    [​IMG]

P.s. he is a bird hunting dog.

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] Well.... Our dogs (we have 5 Standard Schnauzers - a type of hunting dogs) were all over the chickens when we first got them. But now, not one of them will even look at a chicken (or turkey, or pigeon, etc...). We taught them to do this by putting them on a leash, and walking through the flock. When they looked at a chicken, we would tug (fiercly but not harshly) and yell, "NO." After a while they got it.
    But, every once in a while, we would have two dogs who got into the "zone" and chased one. We put a cinderblock (Named "The block of shame") in the middle of the chicken area, and tied the dog to it. We would tie them so close that all they could do was sit. We would leave them out there for an 15min - 1hr.

I hope this works for you,

Haley

3. Q9

Q9 General Headache

How strong is the fence? As long as he can't break through, you're good to go. Our dog busted through the light wire we had at first. We found some REAL chickenwire and put that on. No more problems.

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    It can be difficult to train a dog with a strong hunting instinct not to hunt. It is not impossible though. IT takes consistency and lots of work.

When they act aggressive towards the bird correction is necessary. slowly getting them use to being near the birds without aggression and rewarding them when they ignore the birds or show no aggression is just as important.

also do not let the dog see you, grab, upset, or kill any birds. instead only let the dog see you act friendly and gentle to the birds. This will help establish to the dog that the birds are part of the pack.

I am sure someone can explain better than I am.

5. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    Flimsy fence. But thanks to everyone!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by