dog vs chicken

dreamer5577

Songster
10 Years
May 16, 2011
Pennsylvania
I recently lost one of my new (2 month old) chicken to my own dog. She has not liked my chickens from the start. I tried introducing them to her when they were wee little peeps, but she still hated them. The chickens were out free ranging (i let them do that a few times a day) and my dog broke the chain from pulling too hard and just being overall rambunctious. So by the time I got there. . . it was too late. She chased the 3 others I had way down in the woods, it took a long time to find them. And we did (thank goodness). It's not like she was anywhere near them either. She was probably around a whole acre from them and its not like the chickens were in plain sight.. there were bushes and a pool in the way. I was just wondering if anyone had a problem like this and what they did to solve it. --Thank you.

Our neighbors have a dog that tends to get to their chickens too. They have put up a fence separating the coop from the rest of the yard. Our coop is surrounded by a 6 foot fence because we don't want their dog to get our chickens. Works pretty well but we actually have 1 cat that climbs the fence, goes right up and over but he has never shown aggression towards the chickens so we just let him be.

I've had the same problem. You just have to find a way to keep them separated. You have to control the situation like a parent because they don't know any better and neither do the silly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom