1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dog VS pullet *pic* NOT graphic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickNpink, Jun 15, 2011.

1. chickNpink

chickNpink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Missouri
    Well, today, one of our dogs got a hold of one of our girls. June is approx. 2 months old and is a fighter. I honestly thought she was dead, then I saw her move. I scooped her up, wrapped her in a t-shirt and headed to the vet. Fortunately the only injury was a broken leg...severely broken leg. The doc said he could splint/cast it but he was not very optimistic...about what exactly, I don't know. If it won't heal, can she live w/ 1 one leg or will she need to be put down? I'll have to ask the doc that when we go back in a week.

June is sleeping quite soundly by my side. I was able to get her drink some water earlier but she wouldn't eat...not even her favorite, mealworms. Anyone ever been through a situation like this? How long w/o eating before I should worry? Anything else I might find helpful in making her recovery a comfortable, speedy one?

I never, in a million years, ever thought I'd end up w/ a chicken w/ a cast!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Sometimes a drop or two of liquid B complex will stimulate their energy and appetite? It wouldn't hurt? I used it for some day olds that were having a hard time. It did help them a lot.

3. chickNpink

chickNpink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Missouri
    Where do I get the B? A drop or 2 directly or in water?

TIA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by