Dog vs. Racoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MaKettle, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I let my Norweigan Elkhound out to pee. Long story short, she discovered a raccoon near my chicken coop and attacked it. They fought for about 5 mins before my husband was able to get my dog back away from the coon. At one point, my 60lb dog jumped on top of my coop (a converted dog house with slanted roof) & had the coon on top of my run. When my dog came back in, she was bleeding from the corner of her eye & both of her eyes were bloodshot. She otherwise was totally fine. [​IMG]

My coop is right next to my house & is inside a fence. My dog typically catches & disposes of any kind of animal that is within my fence. We do live in the woods though so we are not naiive to what might be going bump in the night in our yard. Our run is very secure (a SCPA dog kennel with hardware cloth covering everything) so I feel pretty good about that. When my dog jumped on top of my coop, she knocked the roof loose. We had previously been putting a rachet strap over the roof so that nothing could pop the top off but we have been lulled into complacency & stopped doing that. That strap will go back on the roof, effective immediately.

My concern is that the coon will be back. My dad said that he has personally seen a racoon chew through shingles & plywood and this was when no free lunch was involved. Does anyone have any experience with this??

I'd like to set a live trap but I am concerned that it will trap my chihuahua instead [​IMG]

Any suggestions?? I'd really appreciate the imput

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, set the trap. Use a couple whole eggs as bait. Most predators will go for the easy meal first. Probably the dog won`t, but if it does, it will learn it`s lesson and that without being hurt. Yes, I have had coons tear hardware cloth off my pens to gain access. Thin or soft wood is not much of an obstacle for a determined predator, especially a coon. Good luck.......Pop

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  4. MaKettle

Quote:Thanks for the advice! I'm wondering if I can just put the trap out at night...is there any danger of the coon coming back during the day? My dogs are both outside all day long...

5. MaKettle

Quote:Elmo, thanks for the concern--she is up to date on her shots. It was the first thing I said to my husband once we got her back in the house & took a look at her.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the advice! I'm wondering if I can just put the trap out at night...is there any danger of the coon coming back during the day? My dogs are both outside all day long...

Occasionally you will find one out in the daytime, usually late. With dogs in the yard running loose, your flock should be safe, and yes, you can put the trap out only at night, but it does get tiresome and lead to negligence. Good luck........Pop

7. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Quote:Elmo, thanks for the concern--she is up to date on her shots. It was the first thing I said to my husband once we got her back in the house & took a look at her.

Please check with your vet...Even if she is current on her rabies shot, she will need a booster after a possible exposure.

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    It is surprising what damage a small coon can do to big dog. Even a good coon dog can get the worse end of the stick at times. Some won't believe it, but a one on one fight, most times the dog will lose. If there is any water, pond or stream on your property, the coon WILL drown the dog. Tuna is a good bait for coon if you are using a line trap. If you are using a spring trap and have water on the property, fasten a piece of mirrow or any metal that shines
    to the pedal and place the trap in the water.

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My friend said she watched a Raccoon rip cedar shingles off a chicken coop roof to get into the chickens.

It has been my experience a Raccoon doesn't come back for quite awhile after a negative encounter.
    If your dogs are outside during the day I don't think the Raccoon will come back but if he did I would worry about the dog. Raccoons can bite really nasty. Hate to see the dog get hurt.

10. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Set the trap now. Coons DO come out during the day if they are hungry enough, especially when it gets colder and food becomes more scarce. Hopefully this one has crawled off for a while to heal up and will decide not to come back, but there is a high chance there are more in your area.

Also, yes, coons WILL chew through wood and roofs to get into houses and coops. They are well known for it. Google "Raccoon damage" and click on "images" to see exactly what they can do to your coop and home.

Good doggy for protecting your property! I hope she's going to be O.K.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by