dog wiped out 1/2 of flock last night

chixmaidservice

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2013
What an evening- as the sun went down a husky from about a mile away scattered my hens as they were coming into coop for night. 13 hens and 1 chick were killed outright, 2 are missing.One EE showed up at the coop at dawn today. I have 16 survivors, but two have serious lacerations to their backs and I was only able to catch one of them for treatment. Police involved and dog owner promises restitution in lieu of charges- but I am seriously considering selling remaining flock and walking away from the constant stress of protecting the hens from just about everything.Thoughts? By the way dog was very large and half jumped/ bulldozed over my woven wire fences. I fear he had so much fun that he will be back anytime he gets a chance.

What an evening- as the sun went down a husky from about a mile away scattered my hens as they were coming into coop for night. 13 hens and 1 chick were killed outright, 2 are missing.One EE showed up at the coop at dawn today. I have 16 survivors, but two have serious lacerations to their backs and I was only able to catch one of them for treatment. Police involved and dog owner promises restitution in lieu of charges- but I am seriously considering selling remaining flock and walking away from the constant stress of protecting the hens from just about everything.Thoughts? By the way dog was very large and half jumped/ bulldozed over my woven wire fences. I fear he had so much fun that he will be back anytime he gets a chance.
I am so very sorry.

Rather than walking away entirely, how about going to an enclosed run approach over allowing them to range within the fenced pasture? A dog proof run may not afford them as much freedom to roam, but it does afford them more protection and allow you to continue enjoying having your flock without the stress of worrying about future attacks. The restitution from the losses you took can help to pay for securing the remainder of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom