Dog with an elbow problem

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by obsessed, Jan 11, 2009.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I have an english mastiff puppy. He is about 8 months old and weighs about 175. he is very big for his age. Not quite fat but definitely big. He does come from very good stock and he will be a massive mastiff.

Well, he hurt his elbow. About a week ago I noticed that he was growing a tennis ball lump on his elbow. It is soft and not hard but not squishy. I talked to my breeder and she said it is possible he hurt him self. He has fallen a few times on our walks as he is not the most agile breed. We do our best to keep him from jumping and running around. But he is a puppy. I know this problem is common with large breeds but I wanted your guys advice. We have laid off his walks a bit. the breeder said It could take about 6 months to go away.
    So what do you guys think? Can I help him in anyway? [​IMG]

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I wouldn't just wait for it to go away. They can be prone to elbow dysplasia (which is as common as hip dysplasia, just not as talked about).
    I have seen and worked with tons of large breeds and I'll tell you from my experience it is not "normal" or common to have limps or lumps.
    He should be seen by his doctor IMO, waiting too long may void any contract or guarantee with the breeder for coverage.
    I'm sorry but there is no way I would trust the breeder if they told me to wait 6 months for a puppy to stop limping, especially if it was growing a lump of that size.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would take him to the vet asap. Maybe he cracked the cartilidge (sp?) in his elbow.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    yea I am not big on vets, but since you "don't know" if he truly hurt the elbow, ya know, seen him do it etc.....then who really knows what that squishy lump is going to be?

yea I would do the vet visit just to be sure on this one. if it is nothing shouldn't cost much cause it was just an exam.

best of luck to that big baby! and wow he will be huge I am sure!

5. obsessed

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I will take him to the vet this week. Thanks guys

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Good Luck. Im hoping that everything is fine.

7. obsessed

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Well my puppy came back from the vet. He has some hydro thing. Not sure how to say it or how to spell it. basically it is like a callus his body is building to protect him. He is so big he his favoring the one side when he lays down which is what is making the swollen elbow. The vet said there is nothing to do just make sure to give him somthing to lay on. He doesn't recommend draining it due to the possiblity of infection. Well At least I know he is safe and not hurt.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    That is really good news. Sometimes large dog beds are expensive, especially if you are looking for an orthapedic one. I bought a twin sized foam (egg crate thing) mattress pad, cut it to size and sewed "pillowcases" to go over them. I got a few large beds for less than $25

Wonder if the Joint Care products that Dr Foster/Smith sell would help. I use the Joint care 3 on my doxies (7 & 14) it sure helps with their arthritis. The product has MSM, Glucosamine & Chondroiton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by