1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog with Diahrrea, some puking. (Back from Vet)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 30, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Vida has been sick for the last 3 days. She had an upset stomach for about a day before the "big" onset. She's been on Authority lamb formula and has gained weight but is still at a normal weight.

BUT, this Sunday, my stepmother (being the sweet person she is) gave Vida some turkey. Vida has a stomach like Thunder...if you give her anything different, might as well pour it through her. She's been excreting very loose stools that smell awful, no blood. A light color...not quite yellow, but not brown either.

She has shown no interest in food today at all, which means she's gonna be throwing up later tonight because of an empty stomach.

I just gave her some Pepto Bismol as it used to work with Thunder. I'm just scared...she's 3 years old. Is it possible for her to get Parvo still?

Any ideas for something that she probably wouldn't throw up? If she's not better by tomorrow, she's going to a vet. She's very interested in water and is drinking quite a bit.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It doesn't sound like she would get Parvo from turkey.

Were there cooked bones involved??? Either blockage or over-greasiness would be my suspects. Especially if you say she has an upset tummy it's probably just from eating weird food.

No clue what to feed. My vet suggested boiled chicken and plain rice - same as for people. Well the sick dog wouldn't touch it, but the cats ate it for her, so that didn't go quite as planned

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well, the day before Thanksgiving the 24th, I took them to the local dog park to run around and expend some energy. That's why I'm worried about the parvo thing.

Nope, no bones, all of the meat was deboned. Sorry, just...a bit scared. I raised this dog from a 2 week old puppy (the mother started eating her puppies) and her being sick worries me to death.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I would say its probably the turkey. You can take her temp. With parvo they will have a temp. A dogs normal temp is 101 She would act very sick with parvo too. Dont give her anything to eat for 24 hours. Let her drink what she wants. Then if she is holding down the water make her some rice and hamburger drained and rinsed to get that fat off just a little hamburger. Its bland and should not upset her tummy. Thsi is what the vet has told me to do when I have upset dog tummies.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Is parvo a yearly shot?? If so my dogs are due too... [​IMG]

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Gahh! The mom started eating her pups?? Gahhhh! What the heck was wrong with her? Zombie dog?....

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Most of the time parvo gets puppies less than a year old and older dogs, but that doesnt mean it could not happen. Is your dog acting very sick not wanting to move etc.? I had a puppy that got it and he wouldnt even drink. He wouldnt hardly move.

8. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    parvo possibly or pancreatitis,.. either way needs to go to the vet ASAP. Both are killers.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:yes it is distemper/parvo

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yep.. sounds more like panceratitis to me...
    Of course it could just be a sensitive dog.... my saint is like that. Beef stew... gravy.. forget it.... diahrrea all over my floor that night.
    Becaue your dog is older i'd worry about pancreatitis.... its a nasty thing. My gram passed away from it. (she was 95 though)..but still...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by