dog with swollen ear- PICs pg2

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 1, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My boxer mix (in my avatar) has a swollen ear flap. If you hold her ears out they are shaped like a triangle. The swollen part is along the bottom edge and is swollen to about the size of my thumb. I can't see punture marks or any damage. It doesn't feel hot and she doesn't yelp or cry when I touch it. She clearly doesn't want me messing with it, but she doesn't act like it hurts. The other dog was licking it and she sat real still for that.
    The vet won't be open until Monday. I'd just as soon avoid the emergency vet if possible. How do I make the swelling go down? What could possibly have caused her ear to swell?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It's called a Hematoma. The ear is like a pillow filling with blood. She has ruptured a blood vessel in her ear, it will get bigger before it stops. It is not life-threatening but I would get her to the vet Monday morning if not sooner. Minor surgery (making a long incision, draining out the blood, cleaning it out & sewing up both sides of the ear flap with buttons is the only thing that will help. Put ice on it to stop the bleeding sooner, and get her to the vet when you can. I was a Vet Tech for 10 years. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Any tips on how to keep ice on it? The swelling is manifesting on the inside of her ear.
    Will the swelling stop on his own or will it keep filling with blood until the vet treats it?
    Does it hurt her?
    [​IMG]

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It doesn't hurt, but it is uncomfortable. Feels kinda weird. She may shake her head trying to get rid of the sensation. Hold the ice pack on the swelling, on the inside of the ear. Hold it there for 10-15 minutes. That should hopefully stop it. It will get really big like a bag filled with too much water or air. I'd try to stop it now with the ice. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, I'm off to get the ice and a towel. Wish me luck!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

6. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    This happened to a dog I had before. Lucky me it was a weekday. The next day he had surgery to repair his ear.
    Like Fattie said, uncomfortable but not life threatening. Just watch it, ice it.
    Don't try to puncture it yourself to relieve the pressure.
    There are 3 ways to repair it. Your vet should discuss the best option.

7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    What a coincidence. I had to take my boxer in today to have the hematoma in her left ear drained. What a way to start the new year. Er vet meds anesthesia ect . They neatly and quickly extracted just under 400 bucks from my wallet. [​IMG] Oh well Katie is an exceptional dog and I hated seeing her in pain. Shes worth it [​IMG]

8. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    If your dog keeps shaking her head, the ear swelling will get worse. If you take a leg from a pair of pantyhose, put it over the head to hold the ear close to the head--then run some tape around the open ends of the stocking (sticking it to the head and neck) you'll give her some relief and prevent the swelling from getting any worse. The hose will still allow ventilation, but protect the ear. Hope I explained that so's you could understand it.
    Slinky

9. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband has an older Labrador R. who had this problem twice. The first time it was fixed surgically - with a lot of problems - and it looks absolutely terrible. The scar tissue crinkled the ear and there little hair on it now. The second time we opted not have the ear fixed. It did stay filled with blood for quite some time, but once it healed it reabsorbed. I'll say it took about 6 to 8 weeks before it went away completely and never came back. On the upside - that ear looks wonderful, and the problem never reoccurred. It is just a little crinkled.

If you opt not to do surgery and the dog shakes it's head a lot, you can always try bandaging the ear with some vet wrap.
    ETA: The actually make an ear hematoma snood now. Check this out: http://www.dogleggs.com/files/Ear_Hematoma_Snood.cfm

Sometimes
    surgery isn't always the answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  10. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    QuailHollowP&P :

My husband has an older Labrador R. who had this problem twice. The first time it was fixed surgically - with a lot of problems - and it looks absolutely terrible. The scar tissue crinkled the ear and there little hair on it now. The second time we opted not have the ear fixed. It did stay filled with blood for quite some time, but once it healed it reabsorbed. I'll say it took about 6 to 8 weeks before it went away completely and never came back. On the upside - that ear looks wonderful, and the problem never reoccurred. It is just a little crinkled.

If you opt not to do surgery and the dog shakes it's head a lot, you can always try bandaging the ear with some vet wrap.
    Sometimes surgery isn't always the answer.

Same here. If it was to happen here again I would not do the surgery as we have been through this several times with the rescue and have always had complications or difficult healing process. Everytime we let it heal itself it does better ad seems easier on the dogs and us.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by