1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog won't stay off couch

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PurpleChicken, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I can't get jake to stay off the couch. He knows he isn't supposed to be there but goes up when I'm at work. I've got him on camera and he's a smart dog.

I'm considering putting some rat traps up there to teach him a good lesson. I'll weaken the springs so they won't break any bones but will latch onto him good.

JamieDogTrainer had me put duct tape upside down in the couch and that worked but as soon as the tape is gone he's right back up there.

Beatings don't seam to help either.

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Dogs aren't supposed to be on the couch? [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

PC,

Get off the dog's couch. Now!

Imp

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Our shiba inu does the same thing - we go out of sight, and up she goes [​IMG] As soon as she hears us coming back, she slinks off the couch and lys on the floor with her ears flat to her head - like that's not a dead give away:plbb We can't resist her big brown eyes, so this will be going on until she simply can't jump up any more [​IMG]

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Hold on while I ask Bubba if he knows dogs aren't supposed to be on the couch.....

He says there aren't any dogs in here. [​IMG]

6. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    JamieDogTrainer had me put duct tape upside down in the couch and that worked but as soon as the tape is gone he's right back up there.

That's why doing that silly stuff doesn't work in the long run.

Does your dog have a bed of his own?

I made the mistake of letting my dogs on my living room couch, but changed my mind far too late in the game, so now when I am not in the living room I just rest a baby gate across the couch so they don't even wanna get on there. If they see an opportunity they'll take it, tho.​

7. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Little squirt bottles work great. Train the dog to understand that anything that he/she is doing that you dont wont them to do, ends by getting sprayed.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You know dog or even cat hair just makes the couch softer and more comfortable.

Imp- Even helps flavor food. [​IMG]

9. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    If you must, try a scat mat. We solved this problem by having one old, free-at-garage-sale chair with a removable, washable cover on it which is Sadie's chair. Both our dogs also really enjoy the futon, since it is a guest bed it is always folded flat with a quilt on it. I just put all clean bedding on it for guests when they come (and a different quilt). They do stay off our couches.

You should read "Stanley's Party," a children's story about Stanley the dog and what he does when mom and dad aren't home. [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Yes, the dog has several beds of his own and sleeps with me at night.

I want a new couch but won't get it until I know he won't go on it.

Jake can leap a gate and is very proud to show off his skills.

Pointing at the couch and yelling "NO JAKE!! NO COUCH!!! NO COUCH JAKE!!!" doesn't seam to help.

Yes Imp, dog fur does make food taste better, especially soup. Yum.

I may have to go with the SSS route in him. He hates those old nazi movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by