Dog won't stop licking

ravencreek

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Benton TN
I have a 5 year old Great Dane that started licking her leg right below the elbow and has licked it so much she has licked the skin off and it is bleeding. The vet had me buy this stuff called Allercaine with Bittran II(Said it was a hot spot) but she licks it off and just keeps licking. I have put a bandage on her and she chews it off and persists to lick. I don't know what else to do. I will try to post pics.

Hmmm thats odd. Ive never had one do that before.
hmm.png
Maybe someone will be able to help you out.

Try putting medicine on the spot, cover it good with bandages and tape, then put something hot on it like tabasco or cheyenne pepper to deter from messing with the bandage. Just a thought.

Could be allergies, yeast infection or fungus that started the licking, it should be looked at by a vet to find the cause and to know what/how to treat, as far as a stop chewing on the bandage cure, try bitter apple spray..
Good Luck!!

My GS did this to both front legs. We had her tested for everything under the sun and found nothing other than her sugar level at the time was elevated. We would put a halo on her get it all healed up and she'd do it again. The vet said that it could of been linked to nervousness. We never actually found the reason for it but I would now put my money on diabetes.

my Saint Bernard is doing the same thing, but on his side!...
he.gif
...i have a head collar on him now..and i am keeping it clean and dry, with blu-kote sprayed on it.....this is the second time i'm going through this with him...i dont know what it is either...
hu.gif

You need to get an E-collar on before it gets worse. It won't be able to heal if they keep licking off any meds. Could be a flea, ant or even spider bite but you aren't going to be able to tell if it's kept irritated by the dog

My Golden did that to her feet. We had to shave the area,keep it clean , dry and medicated. We finally had to give her a mild tranq. pill too keep her from doing to much damage. She got better. We still have to keep her feet shaved and clean. but it is no way as bad as the first time. It is almost like a habit, more like they are on a drug when it comes to getting to that spot. It does not take long to do major damage. If it is infected and she can still lick it... she is taking that infection into her body. Good luck. I know it is very hard to control.

I did take her to the vet. He was the one that told me to get the Allercaine. It has the bitter stuff to prevent the spot chewing but she licks it off and keeps on licking. Vet tested her for all kinds of things and just narrowed it down to it must be a hotspot. I thought it was going to work at first but now she has made it WORSE!! And I can't get pics on here cause all I have is my cell and I can't send picture messages anymore. I can tell you that she is licking so much she is peeling her skin back almost like when you have a blister and it pops. Is there anyone that knows a trick to keep her from licking other than wrapping it.

If you happen to have a muzzle that will fit her, put it on and take her to a new vet in the morning unless the bleeding is such that she needs to go to the emergency vet. If you take her to the ER Vet, you can get an E collar from them and put that on. It's just going to cost you big bucks. There is a chance they will let you simply buy an E collar without seeing her. I would call them if you do not own an e collar or a muzzle.

Putting tape and bandages and other things on the wound is only going to irritate the site even worse in her effort to remove the stuff.

Besides being something simple like hot spots and insect bites, there are other things it could be, all the way up to bone cancer so it should be checked again and given a 2nd opinion. You may need to take Xrays and have them read by a radiologist if everything else comes up negative.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom