dog wounded my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katstar, Oct 17, 2009.

1. katstar

katstar New Egg

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

I'm way inexperienced when it comes to treating chickens but my young dog got hold of my game hen-rooster and scraped him up pretty good. I cleaned the open wounds with some water and applied some medical honey (antiseptic manuka honey) and have separated him from the rest of the birds. I'm wondering what else I should or can do. I checked him before night fall and his wounds seem,,exposed..I'm wondering about applying a bandage. I could go around and under his wings and criss cross fashion.??
    Any recommendations for treating him and preventing possible infection would be appreciated or what I should do next time something similar happens.

Hopefully he makes it through the night.

Kat

2. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    I don't really know, but until someone else that does answers, this is what I would do.

Clean out the wounds with warm water or if you have eye cleaning solution use that....keep him seperated and confined (a dog/cat) crate or even a box...if it is cold where you live bring him in or put a light on him to keep him warm.

Put neo. or a generic brand antibiotic ointment on the wounds.

DO NOT use the ointment with pain killer.

Clean it and reapply the ointment every other day. From what I've read on the forum chickens heal fast.

You can also do a search (upper right hand corner), type in "dog attack" or something that discribes your situation and you will get a lot of info.

Hope this helps.

3. FlyingByTheSeatOfMyPants

FlyingByTheSeatOfMyPants Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    The Jersey Shore
    Another thing I would be aware of is how the other chickens are reacting to his injuries. Sometimes, if a bird is injured the others will peck at the blood or even exposed skin. My friend's injured hen was attacked mercilessly by other gals in the coop. She removed the patient into the house, and it recovered nicely in a cage isolated from the flock. She also applied the antibiotic ointment. A good all purpose antibiotic in the water might be in order, too, especially since dogs' mouths are pretty germy. A Tetracycline powder like Duramycin can be picked up at a feed store. I got mine at an Agway.

Good luck with the poor boy![​IMG]

4. FlyingByTheSeatOfMyPants

FlyingByTheSeatOfMyPants Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    The Jersey Shore
    Sorry, I just reread and saw that you'd already separated the bird. DUH!

5. katstar

katstar New Egg

Oct 17, 2009
    Thankyou for your suggestions and guidance.
    he has made it thru the night. I will leave the honey on for a bit longer and then maybe see to him this afternoon. I don't want to traumatise him further by handling him too much. I have some Savlon that I can appy, maybe a bit more liberally on the exposed skin. Can't think of how I would apply a bandage without it sticking to the wound, and then ripping it off re-exposing it....
    I'll keep him separated til he heals (or dies). cross fingers he heals okay and is not too traumatised by the whole thing. I missed his crow this morning. My husband is shoring up the chook pen right now, and the dog... well, he may have been playing?? with it or trying to eat it I don't know but if he does this again, he's gone. No chook killers for us.
    thanks again for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by