Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Alleyoops25, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Our nieghbor has this great big fat Rottwieler. He always lets they dog out to go roam where ever it wants to go. And usually it is up the hill to my house. I had thrown our left over salad out to the chickens. Well this hippo of a dog comes waddling up here and decided she was going to eat these scrapes Well one of my hens was out there eating these srcaps and it got to close to the dog. The D#@! dog snapped at my hen and broke its wing. I was in doing dishes and looked up to see it happen. I ran out yelling at the dog . I grabbed my hen up and followed the dog back home. I just about beat down this guys door before he answered . And I showed him my hen and told him what his hippo did. He was "Oh, I didnt think she would do that" Well that would have been a fine answer execpt I made him pay for a rooster that the same dog killed to months ago. He told me he was sorry and that hew would foot the bill for the vet, if I wanted and handed me a hundred dollar bill. He then gave the dog a swift kick in the guts and threw the dog in the house. Like the dog was totally a fualt. ( I think it would have been fair if he got kicked in the guts. ) I had a chicken wire fence put up down the side of the property and the dog just plows right through it. It was nice of him to pay for damages. But I swear some people have more money than brians. Of he would allow the dog to go where ever it wants, and not watch who know what damage a dog that size could do. I am not scared of that breed in general. But a dog of that size that has absolutly no trianing and is allowed to go and roam the nieghborhood is just scary. Last week the same dog tried tearing up a small little mutt dog that belonged to our other nieghbor. :mad: I seriously hate that guys and his dog:mad: I am supposed to have vet come and see what she can do for the hen here in about a hour and a half. I just hope I can calm down between now and then. I am steaming with rage right now.:mad::mad:

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Some people have NO respect, do they???
    I'm so sorry about your hen. I hope she is ok after her vet visit. And as far as that dog, I would call animal control and ask what they can do for you. You have witnessed this dog attack two of your birds and try to shread apart another dog, and the owner is obviously, well, an idiot.
    You're right... It really isn't the dog's fault. A bad dog will almost always have a bad owner.
    I'm just afraid that since this owner is doing nothing, the dog will move on to other things, ie. somebody's kid, etc.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I am so sorry about your hen. I do hope she recovers well. That man needs FINED!! Definately call animal controll. Maybe a stiff fine for the owner will wake him up! UGH! Stupid dog owners make me sooo mad!! [​IMG]

4. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    That has been my fear also. My kids arent a bit scared of dogs. They are subject to a lot of them. I volunteer at Dogs for independent living. And we trian dogs of this breed to help the disabled. They are very intelligent animals, if they are worked. But ones like this thing is aweful. The vet that is coming out is tied in with the animal control, and i am sure she can tell me what to do. The biggest problem is we are out side of city limits and the is no leash laws or restrictions from allowing dogs to run wild. However the people the own the dog that got ate are supposed to be pressing charges. A while back in our town we had a guy that kept to rotts he did like this guy and kicks them out side and then lets them do what ever they want. Well a little 8 year old girl saw these dogs and went to pet them, they turned on her and literally tore her apart this little girl lived but she was in critical condition for 3 weeks, and had to have over 600 stitches from her head, face, throat, both arms,and one leg. I blame the owner from that as well. I was close friends with this family of the little girl and she was so beautiful, and now she is carrying scars the rest of her life. All dogs have a potienal to become deadly, when they arent trianed or are treated badly, even dogs the are voted kid friendly like labs. I think people who do this with their dogs ought to be the ones shot , if they just step up to the responsibility for the dog they decided to get theur would not be problems like this.

5. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Title 35 Article 43 Colorado consolidated dog Laws (google it for yourself to get all the details)

"Any dog found running, worrying, or injuring sheep, cattle, or other livestock may be killed, and the owner or harborer of such dog shall be liable for all damages done by it." Chickens are livestock, ask to be sure but in my state of New Mexico I have a loaded shotgun and the legal authority to use it. I would rather use it on the dog owner, but they won't allow that.

6. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    I totally agree with you that the OWNERS need to be shot! I have dogs running loose in my area too. I get to %$#* mad. I've had trashy people in my area that have dogs tied to trees. WHY? Why do you get a dog and abuse it or neglect it? I'll NEVER understand people.. :mad:

7. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Well the vet has came and gone. She used vet wrap and wrapped the wing, she says that my hen will live but will probably not have much use ou tof the wing. She also gave me an antibiotic to put in her water to keep her from getting sick. She went down and talked to the nieghbor, don't know what has happend she said she would call when me when she had the chance. Since this is a problem dog she may have it taken away from the guy and have it put it in qurentine. And possible put it down depending on what they find and whether they find the dog to be agressive or not. Anyway I keep you up to date on it.

8. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    By the way zenbirder where did you become so knowledgable about the laws of deferent states? Are you a attorney, or what? Pretty cool to know about things like that, even if you don't live here.[​IMG]

9. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I have learned to google what I need to know, if you put in the right key words: law livestock and Colorado, for example, you can find out the statuates you need to know. Most of the laws are online now! That is how I found out about my laws when I had a dog incident, I went to the sheriff with a copy of the law in my hand, it helps.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is just too many stories like this. Why are people so stupid to let their dogs roam when they really can't predict what their dog will do off their property? NO dog, and I mean NO DOG, PERIOD, should be allowed to roam free. I dont care if it's a Min Pin or a Rottie. Had a darn Min Pin chasing our truck the other day in a mountain subdivision and was trying not to hit the little idiot. Some people are deathly afraid of dogs and should not be subjected to even friendly dogs roaming the streets. I know I may be in the minority, but I truly believe that if you do not have a fence, you should not own a dog unless you keep it in your house and have it litter box trained. No dogs outside without a leash or outside of a fence-EVER. And these electric fences that keep your dog from leaving your property-what happens when some kid or other animal wanders into the perimeter? Okay, that's my rant. And usually men who own Rotties or Pitbulls are trying to make up for, shall we say, inadequacies in other areas?? This isn't a dangerous breed post, but no dog, especially one that can do the damage that a Rottie, Shepherd, Pitbull, or the like should EVER be off a leash or out of a fence or the owner should be chained to a tree just out of reach of his own food and water.
    Actually, I don't care what the law says about what I can or cannot do if a dog attacks my livestock. I'll do what I need to do for my own safety and the safety of the critters who live here. Yep, poor dogs with idiot owners. Can't kill the owners, so the dog has to suffer. Bad situation all around. And I'm so sorry for your hen.
    ***Guess I should add that I am a dog owner and I spend good money to put in a fence for my dogs at every place I live if there isn't one already.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by