1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

doggie breath

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kinnip, Nov 27, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Anyone have a good home remedy for stank doggie breath. I've tried milk Bones, Greenies, Dental Bones. Nothing even makes a dent in this stink. I wonder if she'll eat parsley.

2. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    How is your dogs dental hygene? just asking because we have a pug that has real bad breath. come to find out that it was a dental infection. If left untreated for long enough can cause real serious problems. Might be time to bursh those teeth.

Bo

3. have you checked between his jaw teeth to see if something has stuck and rotted, we had that problem once with our poodle Man did her breath STINK, also got some stuff from the vet that you can spray in their mouth. My yorkie hates it if he sees the bottle he hides, marrie

4. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Lack of Doggie breath is a benefit of feeding raw. That is something many notice about my guys.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I second the vet visit for a doggie dental. Or check if you have an anaesthesia free dog dentist in your area. Groomers sometimes know about these kinds of people. Vets do not refer usually because they lose business that way.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Try brushing their teeth. It has helped with my JRT's breath. A very real concern is peridontal gum disease. It causes horrid breath, tooth lose, infections, and even death. Check them for lodged food particles and then brush their teeth; if the odor returns get the to a vet.

7. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I third the vet visit. Dogs can get horrid dental problems, including gum infections. These gum infections can cause other health problems and can even effect the health of the heart.

Or check if you have an anaesthesia free dog dentist in your area. Groomers sometimes know about these kinds of people. Vets do not refer usually because they lose business that way.

I think these are controversial more because the people who do anesthesia-free dentals are not required to have any qualifications or expertise - so anyone can hang out a shingle. Also, thorough dentals require pets to hold still for long periods of time, and it's the rare pet that can hold still that long without a considerable amount of stress. A good dental will involve cleaning above the gum line, which is pretty impossible with an awake animal. If you don't clean above the gum-line, then your teeth cleaning will mostly be cosmetic, not something that will prevent future dental disease. And if an anesthesia-free dental practitioner finds an abscess or tooth needing removal, the dog will have to be sent to a vet anyway. Finally, cleaning can leave grooves in the teeth that invite more plaque, a dental under anathesia involves tooth polishing to remove these grooves. Without this, the problem can reoccur very quickly.​

8. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I also raw-feed my dog and his teeth are like chicklets! Throw away the kibble and start on rmb's and watch the tarter melt away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by