Doggie decision made: Puppy pics post 31 and 42

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WriterofWords, May 16, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I went to see some Pyrenees this morning, and I couldn't stop crying so I've made a decision not to go with another Pyr right now. But when we stopped for lunch we ran into a great friend who trains agility dogs and she reminded me that when I rescued Mozart and Jo Jo I had been looking for a good agility dog to get into competition with. I think this is what I'm going to do.
    I always wanted to compete but life got in the way and it never happened. So I'm going to find a good herding breed and try to go for agility again. I'm thinking Australian Shepherds, Australian Cattle Dogs, or a good Border Collie.

Do we have any agility people on here that could give me some ideas and leads? Or even someone who raises the above breeds?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I have a Queensland heeler X who I think would make an excellent agility dog, but most wouldn't. I think of the breeds you mentioned, a border collie would be the best.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I had a wonderful Blue Heeler male and a Red Heeler female several years ago. She was a wonderful dog who would listen and do as directed, he on the other hand did what you wanted as long as it was what HE wanted to do lol. I've heard females make better competitors because they are better able to focus.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

BORDER COLLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are amazingly easy to train and happy to perform!

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love Border Collies, I think it will come down to which one I can find first, that I can afford or make payments on. But now that I'm thinking of it again, I'm getting really excited! This just might be my chance!!

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Good luck Kate! So happy for you that you got a dream and you're following it. [​IMG]

C

7. Sactown Chickens

Sactown Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Of the breeds you mentioned, I would go with the border collie as they are so intelligent and agile. I have a friend who trains shelties for agility and has had great success with that breed as well. Thanks for your post, it reminds me a really need to find a beginning agility class for one of my pulis who loves to climb and jump.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've been looking through different breeds online, I have a feeling I'll be up verrrrrrrrrrrry late tonight!

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I recommend Border Collies! That is the breed that my mom raises and she has several friends who compete in Fly Ball with their BCs. Great breed!!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Not to make your process any more confusing but I had a border collie/sheltie mix and that dog could do anything! Her only problem was herding children into a corner at family gatherings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by