"Doggie door" pop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gabby3535, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

The pop door which came in my Amish-built coop will be too small for the HUGE Light Sussex I'm getting, so I've
    had a large "doggie-door" (the kind with the magnetic, heavy vinyl 'flap' that a dog can easily push thru) installed, and
    plan on having a drop-down guillotine type door to open and close the chicken's access to the run.
    I am wondering if you think a chicken can learn to go thru the vinyl flap, or should I remove it altogether?
    I think if I leave it in place, and the chickens can learn to use it, it would cut down on any blowing rain and insects,
    which could easily blow in, when the guillotine is in the full "up" position..................
    What do you think?

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    It probably depends on how brave your chickens are. My suggestion would be that just the same way you show them they have to drink, you would have to show them how to go through it. I'd put a stick or something to prop it open a little at first so they can peek out and maybe work up the courage to go back and fourth. When they get the hang of that, remove the stick and ta-da, they get it. Maybe. That's what I would do, but what do I know?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read on BYC of people using those successfully.

4. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I am in the process of building our coop and purchased storm doors with the doggie style doors...I hope that it works!!!! THe propping up of the vinyl hopefully will work..................

5. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    That is what we use, but the chickens refuse to use it unless I push pin the flap up above. Otherwise they just sit in the hen house miserable. I used a clear car floor mat in the last coop and cut it into strips and they went in and out of that, but not this one. I figured one out of 33 chickens would be brave but NO!

6. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Quote:OMG, I read that wrong at first!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by