1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Doggie Geriatrics Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lunachick, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    [​IMG] I have an older Pomeranian (13). She always had a sensitive stomach, but lately it's every week that she can't eat her regular food. You can hear her stomach making noises like something is brewing in her gut, then she'll barf clear liquid, this lasts a day then she's alright ....til next week.

Before I bring her in to see the vet, I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience that sounds the same as what's going on with her. She is only 6 lbs and that one day that she doesn't eat really shows on her and she's starting to shrink!

I'm a lot worried, does this sound familiar to any of you? Thank you for any advice.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would take her to the vet, but what is in the food you are feeding her?

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    She is going to the vet Wifezilla, but meanwhile I though I'd throw the question out there.

She's been eating the same food since she was a pup. Wet mixed with a little dry. I'm starting to think it's because she's getting old and something is going on inside.

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    List the INGREDIENTS.

If the main ingredient is corn or wheat, that may be your problem right there.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:You mean even if she's eaten this stuff all along the corn or wheat will mess her up? I'm sure there's corn/wheat in it, it's not fancy food. Hmmmm I'll check it out, thanks for the tip. [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My dog has food intolerances. In the past he spewed the yellow stuff (bile), and it was because he had pancreatitis. I'm glad the dog is seeing the vet. These things can be very serious.

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Over time, wheat and corn can do damage to a dog. I would try feeding your dog something that does not contain corn, wheat or soy.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

feed her some rice with a bit of wet food mixed in and see how she does. Or use oatmeal.

Spook has become food intolerant in her advanced years (11) We are currently feeding Solid Gold Holistic formula. It's meant for older dogs. A bit $$ but my girl is worth it.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:My dog is only 5, but he eats Solid Gold Holistic and Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. He can't have anything with chicken in it. Thankfully, he is a small dog so the cost isn't too bad.

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a 19 year-old cat. If we feed her anything with wheat or corn, she barfs all over the place.

Wellness Core is a good brand. So is Innova EVO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by