Doggie tonail broken.

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Today I came home from work to my Brussels Griffon mix limping and favoring her back left leg. Closer inspection revealed one of her tonails is broken. I didn't want to try to remove it because it may be too deep. She is limping less as the night goes on but being cautious. Should I leave it alone or do something?

keep and eye on it and if possible clip the nail. i think you can buy animal safe glue online. if you wish you can try to glue it together until the nail grows out enough you can clip off the broken part. these may not be the best ideas but thought i would throw it out there. i personally would buy the glue if its deep and try to keep it together but you may want to consult a veterinarian or just keep an eye on it since she is limping less

Can you tell if it is past the quick or not?

I just know that they can bleed a lot if they break off... which I'm assuming is why you don't know what to do with it. I can't tell you the best way to go, but if it does happen to break off and start bleeding, make sure you have some powdered ginger or turmeric on hand! Putting one of these on the spot that is bleeding can cause it to clot almost instantly.

If I were you, and it looks like it's broken past the quick, I probably wouldn't touch it- that might be vet territory. But, if it looks like it isn't past the quick, then probably go ahead and try.

Best of luck with your doggie!

Also, if it were to start to bleed, vitamin k is super important. Give your dog something with that in it if it breaks- it's in butter, kale, leafy greens, and lots of other stuff-- look into it and make sure it's safe before feeding it to your dog though with whatever you may choose.

I dehydrated some kale I grew and powdered it. I could mix some into butter and add it to her food. I have both tumeric and ginger on hand. I think I'm going to leave it alone for now and keep an eye one it. It might be past the quick but I'm not positive. Hoping it will grow out and drop off.

Ok! Good luck! Kale does contain thallium in it, which isn't supposed to be good for dog's kidneys-- there is a lot of debate about it. I think it is an accumulative thing though, so if you had to give it to your dog for bleeding, I probably would if it was just once. You may want to do more research on that though. As you probably know, there's lots of debate over leafy greens in the dog community lol

Today I came home from work to my Brussels Griffon mix limping and favoring her back left leg. Closer inspection revealed one of her tonails is broken. I didn't want to try to remove it because it may be too deep. She is limping less as the night goes on but being cautious. Should I leave it alone or do something?
Stiptic pencil only if there is active bleeding still, otherwise I would expect her to heal up just fine and it is no cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom