doggies in the yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kareninthesun, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Well, I've been taking the dogs out, one at a time, on their leash to get used to the chicks. ONe German Shepherd, one Black Lab. So far, so good. Actually they listened pretty good. The shepherd igored them until they were curious, then she tried to invest an attitude reserved for dogs. I corrected that immediatly, and she understood. Let the lab off her leash first, and she is nothing but curious, trying to figure out the guidelines allowing for friendship. The shepherd, well, took her off also, but I don't care for her body language yet. They need reminders that they are all part of the family, and there are clear expectations, but the shepherd needs to be reminded of alpha dog stuff. Not too worried though, she lets my grandson climb all over and chew on her coat. Think they're just trying to figure out the difference between chickens as family compaired to all the other winged critters that come in the yard.

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    I never let my dogs out if the chickens are in their tractor (we don't free range - too many hawks, etc.). I envy those who can let them all out together. We only have 4 girls, so I am pretty protective of them [​IMG]

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

My dogs will kill chickens. I don't let them out with them at all.

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    [​IMG]

We are slowly working our puppy in with the chicks.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Kudzu, that could actually be a bad sign, the way she is looking at them. Does she quickly lose interest or does she stay in that posture? She is looking very focused on them in the pic?

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    YEP, like I said, we are working on it, all is well.

7. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    All but one of my shepherds is ok with the chickens. They usually ignore them. The one is a chicken killer, and thank G-d he has only seemed to kill the ones I planned on culling.

8. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I just got chickens a few days ago. My shepherd stares but has a soft face and wags her tail. She listens when I tell her to LEAVE IT so right now she is getting the benefit of the doubt....it helps there is a lot of wire in between them. LOL

I have been using my Finding Nemo command with her: "Chickens are friends, not food!" LOL

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I can trust one of my dog with the chickens unattended and another if I'm around, but 2 others no way they would kill them I'm sure. I hope to be able to let the two dogs who have been good with the girls out with them anytime??? It will be a while though. [​IMG]

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:that is definitely a predator stair, that needs to be broken...as in breaking that locked look. I would definitely have her involved when I work with the chickens giving praises and treats for a good attitude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by