1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Doghouse Coop Conversion ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by turtlewomyn, Sep 30, 2011.

1. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Currently my set up is pretty minimal and not ideal for my three hens (2 standard, one bantam).
    [​IMG]
    On craigslist I found a plastic doghouse for $40 and a 4 ft tall dog kennel for $50. It was listed as 6x4 feet but measures to be 6x8 feet. We fortified the dog kennel with 4ft wide hardware cloth (three feet going up, 1 foot apron around the outside). The top is covered with poultry fencing. I have plans to use PVC to bow up the roof so that I can have some head room moving about the run (I am 5ft2). I want a better coop though, preferable on the outside of the run for more room (the girls roost on top of the current one and poop all over it. DH wants to buy something but everything to buy is pricey and requires shipping or driving a couple hours to pick it up.

This doghouse has been listed on craigslist for $80 for over a month now (they said the price is firm in their first post).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dimensions are 37 inches wide, 41 inches long, 47 inches high.
    I was thinking that I could modify it by putting in external nesting boxes (25 inches wide by 12 inches tall to create two) and elevating it to create more space underneath for waterers and feeders (I would have to buy a smaller feeder the one we made would be too big). I can't lift it up too high or it will tower over my run. Would 18 inches be sufficient? Could I use 2x2? I would enclose underneath with hardware cloth. I have pavers that I could put underneath that are currently under the plastic dog house.
    I would also make the dog door smaller (using hardware cloth for venting) to be more chicken sized. I would attach this somehow (more hardware cloth) to the portion of the chainlink pannel adjacent to the gate on the kennel. I will probably also need more vents on the doghouse (N. Florida here so heat is a bigger concern than cold). ETA: I also want to create a door for me to access the interior of the doghouse probably on the back. Roosts of course will be placed inside (2x4 are best, right?).

Of course, now that I have put this much thought into the doghouse will be gone or something (has been on craigslist since August 23). Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I am thinking about predator exclusion as well of course.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I would stick to the free section on Craigslist for a dog house to convert.
    I think $80 is a lot. To build with new plywood, 3 sheets $30. 2x4's or 2x6's can be scrounged, look for deck replacements.
    You might have to keep an eye out and search often, but persistence will pay off. who knows, you might get everything your looking for for free.

3. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I have heard of quite a few people who have been able to scrounge free wood as IR said, but live in a very rural area where people don't throw away as much either because they have land and space to store or they can't afford to. We've had to build everything everything ourselves from wood we purchased. How are prices for wood where you are and do you have all the tool needed to build a coop? If the wood and hardware alone would cost more than $80 than it is a good idea. I don't think it would be hard at all to lift it up and, it you were to use PVC pipes to elevate the runs roof, you could put it up higher than you think. We use hanging feeders under our coops, but I have seen some that hook on the run fencing to keep from taking up floor space.

Good luck!! There are a lot of good ideas here and I hope you have a nice selection of free on Craigslist!! Let us know if you score!

4. turtlewomyn

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I don't see a lot of free stuff around here on craigslist, and usually it gets taken up pretty quickly. I was thinking of offering them less on the doghouse (they said price firm in their first post, but not since then and it has been on there for over a month now). I will check prices of wood around here (we don't have a lot of building talent in this house either nor good tools) and see what I can find.

5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    That price is too high for that doghouse. I would not buy it. I suggest you post an add on craiglist or local paper for something else.
    You could also post in your add "build me a chicken coup for $xxx amount of money and see if you get any responses.

6. turtlewomyn

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Quote:I just looked at my local homedepot online and 1/2 inch plywood (4x8) is 14.67 a piece and 3/4 inch is 19.15 so prices around here might be more expensive (that's more like $50 for three pieces of plywood if I am using 1/2in for the walls and 3/4 inch for the floor).

7. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Try offering them $50 for it. If they turn you down you're no worse off than you are now and according to your prices, that at least makes it worth it. Another place to look for help might be your local high school. If they have a woodshop class the students have to have projects and they usually get materials at a slightly discounted rate. You could ask the teacher if there is a possiblity that you could pay for materials and his shop class could build one for an inclass project.

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
  9. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:Nice!!

10. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I posted a want ad on facebook (somebody started a local for sale/wanted/for free page) stating wanted Shed/Chicken Coop and got a response from someone with a 8x8 shed they wanted rid of (free to me)! I had watched craigslist for awhile with no luck...was going to post a wanted ad there next!

You never know what people want rid of, sometimes they don't even know until they see someone else wants it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by