Doghouse Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bodie4, May 13, 2010.

1. bodie4

bodie4 New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Haddam, CT
    Just moved the Chicks out into the coop last week. This originally was a doghouse, highly modified. At the end, the only thing left of the original structure was the frame. The first pics are of my first little chicks acting like chicks helping during construction. I plan on putting in a pvc/chicken 8 gallon nipple watering system, but the purple bucket w/ nipples is good for now. You can see the feeder to the left that was a design I found here and is working very well except for the 1 chicken who likes to get into it and throw the food out! The plan is to let the girls free range during the day in the fenced in back yard, that is why I didn't build a big run. I have some carzy ideas for winter, maybe a solar closed water heating system that keeps the waterer unfrozen(just add that to my list!). I also threw in a pic of my double composter for our food scraps and now Chx poop. The coop was built w/ all reclaimed/laying around materials(raided a construction dumpster at the new DD) except for the hardware cloth and some hardware, total cost was like $50. The decorations and weather vane was designed and painted by my girls. The name was also their idea, inspired by the fact that all the chickens have princess names; cinderella, ariel, sleeping beauty, ect..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was at first concered the chx ramp and door might be too small, but if the kids could fit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our dog Clyde on his morning inspection
    [​IMG]
    Feeder
    [​IMG]
    Temp. waterer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Absolutely fabulous! I'll take one!! [​IMG]

Your daughters are adorable as well [​IMG] Whole set of pics just makes me smile. Nice job!

3. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    Wow awesome coop , great renovation of a doghouse and love the name and trim your daughters provided. You have some lucky hens there. We used to live in Branford Ct but are now in Adks and loving it. Good luck with your chicks! ACM

4. Ms. Cluckingly

Ms. Cluckingly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What a great conversion! I absolutely love it! And I want to know, how did you convert those drums to compost tumblers?? [​IMG]

5. bodie4

bodie4 New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Haddam, CT
  6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Thank you soo much .. That is exactly the composter i have been looking for.. Your coop is precious....

7. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Great Job!!![​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Look how happy your daughters are! They must be in heaven with the chookies.

Your coop is adorable. I especially like the weathervane. You have a great eye!

9. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome Coop!!

Poor Clyde, alas he has no home.

10. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Nice work, love the weather vane. I also have same composter bin but not open on side and not mounted. I just have the barrel. Any words of wisdom on making it spin?

Last edited: May 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by