Dogs and chicken poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Jul 9, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Right now my dogs and the chickens share the same yard. The chickens are in their tractor, after we move it the dogs love to eat the poop. We are building a fence and it will be done next weekend. In the meantime no matter how much I yell, the dogs will still eat some chicken poop. Is it very bad for them?

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    My dog doesn't eat the poo, but rolls in it! P.U.

3. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    My dog loves chicken poop (and horse poop, cat poop, rabbit poop, deer poop, etc.) Every time I turn around, he's eating something... So far, he hasn't gotten sick from any of it. The only thing that made him sick was the chicken food itself. That I really have to keep an eye on...

Mary

4. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    yep i posted a few weeks ago my dog doing the smae thing! He walks around lapping it up like its the best treat in the world! uuuggghhhh. Erin M
    tapeworms maybe flies lay eggs in the poop etc.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just think, he could be eating the "tootsie rolls" out of the litterbox!!!

Mine does it too. She likes to walk around trying to get her a lick of chicken butt too. Dunno what it is, but she is crazy about chicken poo

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Right after you move the chicken tractor, wash the area down with the hose. Most of poop will wash into the soil. I don't let dogs lick on me or the kids. They are really digusting sometimes.

Rufus

7. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    My dogs love it too! It makes sense though, they also love the food which is sweet b/c it's made out of corn. My thought is it can't be too bad for them if corn meal is one of the ingredients put in dog food.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    We haven't tried chicken poo yet, but my dogs are HUGE fans of kitty crunchies and ferret poops. They are currently putting their little doggie heads together to figure out how to get in the neighbor's pasture to lap up the cow patties (which the cows oh so sweetly drop right next to our fence). Blech! That would be why the dogs don't get to kiss me! A vet once told me that it wouldn't hurt them and would only disgust me.
    Again I say BLECH!!!

9. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have a dog and it likes chicken poo .she also likes kitties snickers . my other 2 dogs dont bother either

10. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I have two black labs. They love it as well, and follow the chickens around slurping it up like little treats. My chiens have run of my 5 acre place during the day, and so do the dogs. Hasn't made them sick yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by