dogs, and chicken poop.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss_thenorth, Feb 19, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Ok--went to the barn tonight to clean the horse stalls, and say Hi to my hens. My dogs bolted past me and were waiting impatiently at the barn door Tthe hens were walking all around the barn, and the dogs bolted right past them--basically pushed the hens out of the way and started eating all the poop off of the floor. Is there any harm in dogs eating this stuff? Other than the yuck factor--should I be discouraging this b/c it might be harmful? Just curious.....

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my dogs eat it I am kinda wondering if it is normal as well?

Henry

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Hahaha my dogs love all kinds of farm animal poo - especially the fresh horse excrement. Provided you keep your dogs on a regular deworming program, you shouldn't have any issues with this habit.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My friend is a vet and she said that it is not great for them but as long as the chickens are not sick then it should not be a problem. Still you should try to get them to stop, but I have no idea how to other than a muzzle with a poop cup in it.

Good Luck!

5. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Whew!! I am glad I am not the only one who's dogs eat chicken poop! It is hard to get them to stop. I have tried everything that I know.
    Look at the bright side, maybe we won't have to buy dog food ever again!! LOL..LOL

6. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

My dogs love to eat chicken and horse poo. They also love to eat the clippings of horse hooves after the farrier comes. Yuck!!!

7. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    My dog won't eat it but he thinks its great cologne! Lol!

8. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:And here i just thought i had weird dogs... All of my dogs love horse and chicken poop, and the horse hoove trimings. Those things are all so gross i have no idea why they are so appealing to them...

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well didn't you all know that chicken poop is the new and improved dog food!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My dogs eat it too, but my dogs will eat the chicken food and scratch feed to.

10. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I have the opposite problem. The chickens eat the dog poop. Yuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by