dogs and chicken poop

i dont think so... my puppy sometimes eats it...
sickbyc.gif
i usually shoo her away,, when i catch her..
sickbyc.gif

Mine tend to get some diarrhea from it. Or that is just what we blame the diarrhea on. They don't all get diarrhea from eating it. They do love it.

It is the only down side of letting the girls out of the run for me. In order for the girls to get a little free range time in, I have to run around afterward, and wash the poops down into the ground, so that the puppies won't eat as much of it. I know that I always seem to miss some of it.

My dogs have never gotten sick from eating it in the past, but I dont allow them to eat it at all if I can prevent it. I have this Black Lab dog. He would follow me all over the property, eating all the chicken poop. I thought it was wonderful since it made my job easier. One day, a friend of mine came by my place to check out my chickens and as we were walking through the property, I was telling him what a wonderful dog my lab was as he would eat all the chicken poop. My friend then asked me if thats why my dog stunk so bad. I told him I didnt know why the dog smelled, as I bathed him 1x wk. He then told me not to let the dog eat the poop and see how he smells after a week or two. Guess what? He stopped stinking after I stopped him from eating it! LOL I guess all the toxins of the poop was coming out of his pores! So, my question to you? Do you mind if your dog smells like chicken poop?

we have a sick cycle going on in our place.... the dogs come and eat with the chickens when we feed them scratch (wheat/ barley) and these don't get digested properly by the dogs and come out on their poo (one reason why the chickens always following the dogs around
sickbyc.gif
)...... the chickens will eat these and make poops of their own with the dogs waiting behind them....
sickbyc.gif

I have two golden retrievers that eat the chicken poo in the yard, and I was also concerned. I asked my vet and they said to bring the dogs in a little more frequently to do stool samples to make sure they haven't picked up anything, but besides that not to worry too much. It's kind of something that can't be prevented if your dogs and chickens use the same yard (and the dogs seem to love it- gross!). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom