dogs and chickens question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brandilabra, Dec 15, 2012.

1. brandilabra

brandilabra New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    hellloooo.i have 2 dogs and free range chickens. of course my dogs eat the chicken poop and while i really don't have a problem with that,one of my dogs may.he's scratches constantly,he has not a single flea,i need them expensive food without grains and all the bells and whistles.i think it's from eating the poop!!!....i feed the chickens layer pellets and corn(realizing now,that pretty much negates my expensive dog food)any suggestions on treating my dog via feeding my chickens?what kind of diet can i feed the chickens to help the dog?
    thank you so much,
    pooped

2. jyurina

jyurina Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    Have you ever seen the dogs eating the chicken food? Mine try to so I have to get after them to leave it alone. Maybe he is getting into the corn and that is causing the allergic reaction.

3. brandilabra

brandilabra New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    they can't get to the food in the coop and if i just freely throw it out,it's before i go to work so then the dogs are inside all day.i would think all the food would be gone by the time they went back out,or at least not enough left to cause this kind of reaction:(

4. ChcknGrl

ChcknGrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Our Puppy Gabby used to eat chicken poop all the time when she went outside, But it never bothered her. Hope you find the answer!

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I have never tried this myself, but I have heard that if you add cayenne pepper to your chicken's feed, the chickens won't be able to taste it, but the chemical in the pepper that makes it hot will pass right through and make the poop taste nasty (not that I can imagine chicken poop tasting anything but nasty anyway). The scientific background is that the chemical that makes peppers hot is called capsaicin. "Capsaicin is a natural chemical isolated from red peppers. It is most often found in animal repellents but some products kill mites and insects or keep them from feeding on plants. Capsaicin can be very irritating to the eyes and skin. However, many people around the world enjoy using capsaicin as a spice in cooking. Birds do not detect capsaicin and can eat the peppers without harm." Birds eat the peppers and many of the seeds pass right through their digestive tract, but are dropped at a distance from the parent plant, allowing the plant to spread its seeds over a greater distance. I'd be interested in knowing if this worked for you, because I have a dog who eats chicken poo every chance he gets. While it doesn't seem to be causing any allergic reactions, it's gross.

1 person likes this.
  6. brandilabra

brandilabra New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    I have never tried this myself, but I have heard that if you add cayenne pepper to your chicken's feed, the chickens won't be able to taste it, but the chemical in the pepper that makes it hot will pass right through and make the poop taste nasty (not that I can imagine chicken poop tasting anything but nasty anyway).  The scientific background is that the chemical that makes peppers hot is called capsaicin.  "Capsaicin is a natural chemical isolated from red peppers. It is most often found in animal repellents but some products kill mites and insects or keep them from feeding on plants. Capsaicin can be very irritating to the eyes and skin. However, many people around the world enjoy using capsaicin as a spice in cooking. Birds do not detect capsaicin and can eat the peppers without harm."  Birds eat the peppers and many of the seeds pass right through their digestive tract, but are dropped at a distance from the parent plant, allowing the plant to spread its seeds over a greater distance.  I'd be interested in knowing if this worked for you, because I have a dog who eats chicken poo every chance he gets.  While it doesn't seem to be causing any allergic reactions, it's gross.

7. brandilabra

brandilabra New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    I will pick up some peppers today??...pretty excited to try it:) ill let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by