Dogs And Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CaptainCanada, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2018
    I have 2 large dogs and I am thinking of getting 3 chickens. Will they have problems with each other? If yes can i train them to be together?

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    It very much depends on the dog and how much training you are willing to put in. Many people successfully have dogs and chickens, so it is possible. Many people have dogs injur or kill chickens. You have to take it slow. You will be the best judge of your dogs' behavior.

3. Goingsolo 24

Goingsolo 24 Chirping

Jun 22, 2018
    We have recently acquired chickens (and hatched chicks inside). We have 2 dogs- one being a border collie. They are both very inquisitive about the ''peeps' coming from the cage inside and come nose to beak with them. When outside our Collie seems to think she is a ''chicken herder' and lies watching them for hours. I've always been careful even though the chickens are fenced off- but she did catch the rooster, he came over into her side. Fortunately he lived. But one of my young chicks that squeezed through was not so lucky. Despite my dog being very obedient, sadly when instinct kicks in my chickens won't stand a chance.

snow5164 likes this.
  4. PotatoHead

PotatoHead Songster

May 18, 2018
    North Central Idaho
    My Coop
    We conditioned our dogs that the chickens are part of the pack from the time they were small chicks.

Holding and petting the chicks in front of the dogs and giving the dogs lots of opportunity to investigate/smell/lick them, while we’re holding them of course.

Eventually the dogs realized they were pets not prey and the novelty of investigating the chickens wore off. Even though they have high predatory drives we normalized presence of the birds.

We can all be in the yard, dogs off leash and chickens free ranging, without issue.

5. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    I don't have any problem out of the dogs, it's the chickens that are the issue. :lau As long as you train the dogs, which it sounds like you're planning to do they shouldn't be a problem. My dogs learned very quickly to stay out of the way of the Production Reds.

6. ChickaMama49

ChickaMama49 Songster

May 14, 2018
    Central Florida
    We just got chicks that are now about 6 weeks old and just out of brooder into coop. Our dogs (one pictured here) have different reactions- two , like this one are “guard dogs” and treat them like they are protective of the chickens. Some would definitely eat them- and a couple are indifferent. They’re all different breeds , sizes and ages. It just depends on the dogs personality I think honestly.

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. It really depends on the dog. My Aussie mix and Border Collie mix? They don't go near the chickens, but the chickens chase them! In particular, my blue splash EE pullet... she's convinced that my BC mix is her mother, I think. Every time Mouse runs by, Snow goes running along with her. Which freaks Mouse out.

My Lab will lay there for hours, salivating and licking his chops. I keep a close eye on him - he's jolted a few times when someone flew up suddenly, but he's never made a try for any of the chickens, even when they hopped up on his back to use him as a roost. He was just very disturbed.

8. PeppersPeeps

PeppersPeeps Chirping

Jun 21, 2018
    Massachusetts
    My Australian Shepherd (Pepper) more or less ignores the chickens, even though I’m trying like heck to train her to watch them. She’s only interested in see if she can find “chicken cookies” in the grass when the ladies get yard time. :sick

The ladies adore Pepper though. When they see the dog, they know they’re either getting treats or will be let out of their run!:wee

(This is my first post! The emojis are adorable on this site. I’m a new chicken mom to four 12 week old ladies, 2 BR’s and 2 Ameraucanas).

HI!!

9. mowin

mowin Songster

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    :welcome

drumstick diva and PeppersPeeps like this.
  10. child_of_air

child_of_air Chirping

I was wondering the same thing. I don't have a dog yet, only three cats, but I've always wanted one. However, I won't get one if it means they will harm the chickens or annoy my cats. My cats are the rulers of the house, lol.

ChickaMama49 and drumstick diva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: