Dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ragerkid2, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I have a doberman and a min pin. How can I get them used to the chicks??? I tried to show the babies to the Doberman and she was jumping all over it...
    Please help.

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Chances are you will have to keep them separated indefinitely. Generally speaking dogs and chickens aren't a great combo (at least without close supervision.) If you hold the chick out to "introduce" it to the dog- it will seem to the dog, that you are handing it the chick... as if it were a treat. My dogs and chickens are divided by a fence. Once the chickens are full grown, neither the dogs nor the chickens pay much attention to each other. Good luck!

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How old is the Doberman? If she is still young, you'll need to watch her more and work with her.
    The Min pin is a terrier type dog and I would never trust it with the birds. But as for the Dobie, she is a personal protector dog, so if you can make the chicks family and what she needs to guard, it will be fine.
    My Dobie grew up with Guinea pigs & rabbits, so when I brought home cats and then chickens, with a little time and training, he was fine. Though, he has always loved baby animals, which helped.

4. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    She's just over a year... The min pin is very old and she isn't outside alt and we can put a long leash on her off of the deck if needed. My dads friend have these massive dogs and they dot even notice each other... But my Doberman is more hyper.

5. ilief

ilief New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    I have never had any of my dogs bother my chickens. I currently have 13 chicks in my basement and my 130 pound dog sleeps right next to them. He occasionally nudges them curiously, and licks up a little of their food, but nothing else. And BTW, I feed my dog raw chicken every day!

You have to know your dog, Do your dogs chase other small animals? Do they harm other animals? Do they respect your property and leave it alone, or do you have to keep your shoes and other things from them? Are you the alpha member of the pack?

If you are not the alpha, and your dogs dont respect your property, then I would never trust them with the chickens.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Quote:I have a dobe she raised 2 rounds of chicks last year and is brooding one now! [​IMG] God help anyone who makes her fuzzy butts peep too loud!! [​IMG] One got loose in the garage yesterday I did not see it but Dancer went over to the wood pile and went on point She did not move til I picked up wayward chick and put it back in bx. She then watched over all til she was sure everybody was OK ! [​IMG] Told this story before but she has also learned hawks are not allowed near chickens/yard and she chases them barking like mad til they are gone !! [​IMG]

7. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:I have a dobe she raised 2 rounds of chicks last year and is brooding one now! [​IMG] God help anyone who makes her fuzzy butts peep too loud!! [​IMG] One got loose in the garage yesterday I did not see it but Dancer went over to the wood pile and went on point She did not move til I picked up wayward chick and put it back in bx. She then watched over all til she was sure everybody was OK ! [​IMG] Told this story before but she has also learned hawks are not allowed near chickens/yard and she chases them barking like mad til they are gone !! [​IMG]

Awwwhhhhhh ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My dobie is a very loyal dog. My friend were fighting one day and she would not let him step near me.... I think if i get her used to them she should be good with them

9. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My mom has a really weird Toy poodle/dottie mix. We had to bring our chicks in the house and put them in a box till the others finished hatching. He turned the box over and lead the chicks around the house like he was their mother. [​IMG] Dogs are just weird sometimes.

10. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Lots and lost of training and discipline.
    Let them know that the birds are YOURS. Like if your dog were to steal the really expensive wedding ring, you would put it in its place and let the dog know that its not acceptable. Same with the birds.
    Obedience helps to, lots of command training and a ton of leave it training...
    A behaviorist could help you with that ^^
    Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by