Dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Flyboy718, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Any problems yall have with dog's and free range chickens?

2. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I have a toy aussie and a boxer-brittany spaniel mix and have not had any problems. when we got chicks i always took my dogs in with me to check on them so they could get use to seeing them and also see them grow up. My dogs love the chickens.

3. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I have a Mastiff and a Yorkie and I don't have any problems. I also had the chickens in the house and had lots of time introducing them to each other. I don't worry about them, but I am always cautious. Good luck. My girls free range all day while I am home.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    MY dog is fine, but my neighbor's dogs like to come over and kill my chickens.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:sure have, mine can't stop eating their poop... guess what's the next thing they lick... [​IMG]

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a great Pyr and she killed one early on when we got our chickens..Then we did submissive training, and she hasnt touched them since..They can often be seen sitting together in the shade...

7. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My dogs? No. They grow up around them. When we have to get a new dog, there is unfortunately a typical 1-2 bird learning curve since the chickens were free rangers. Had to do stern submissive training on my black lab. I thought I was gonna have to put him down cause he wouldn't stop killing them. He finally learned, and is now a great guardian. I punish them if they bother chickens, and reward them tremendously for every rat, opossum, coon, and the occasional skunk [​IMG] they catch. I only really have trouble out of other's dogs.

8. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I keep a close eye on my lab when we're out with the chickens, and dont allow her to be outside alone if the girls are free ranging. We've done the dominance/submissive training, but every once in awhile she has a numb spell and forgets that its not okay to chase the chickens. I dont think she'd intentionally TRY to kill one, but I dont want to test that theory by even letting something start, kwim?

My beagle, on the other hand, is an OLD man (19!) who only pays attention to the chickens if they're getting a treat (because he wants one too!). Othern' that, as far as he's concerned, they're a valuable source of smelly poo to eat and roll in and competition for the sunny spots in the yard, LOL!

9. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Hey, I used to live in Salem, Ct! lol

I have 8 dogs and they all are good with the chickens. I have a 1 1/2 year old mini Poodle who was the worst PITA to train off the chickens - he was very 'birdy.' But he is voice responsive now.
    If mine are having too strong of a prey drive melt down upon introduction, they stay on a leash and get the "Cesar Millan" type micro-managing until they get it straight, that these are just feathered family members.

10. Juiced10

Juiced10 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Syracse, NY
    Quote:The same just happened to me yesterday. So mad I didn't run the dog over when I had the chance, a mistake I won't make again.....hope that doesn't make me a bad person but I'm very upset by my neighbors lack of proper restraint on their dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by