dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Margot50, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Margot50

Margot50 Out Of The Brooder

I am going to be building my coop and have ordered a smorgasbord of chicks to be delivered in June, when I will be sort of, pretty much, kinda retiring. I have two dogs. They have been around chickens and know, at a farm that I go to, not to mess with them.
    But! Does anyone have ideas on how to train dogs not to torment (or eat) chickens when they join the family?

2. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I've only read that it is a very slow process. I wish I had the answer, because I have 2 dogs that can not be in the yard with my chickens and it is a real pain in the butt! My other thought is that it may depend on your breeds, instinctual......I have two heelers, so not good in my book.

Good luck!

3. Margot50

Oh dear.......not much encouragement there!
    I have been thinking after my initial meet and greet sessions (as opposed to meat and eat sessions) I should get HUGE shock collars, and watch my dogs in the yard from up stairs and Zapp them when they even look the wrong way!

My dogs are a mutt and a cocker.

4. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have two border collie crosses. . . and they LOVE chasing animals. I have two kittens and a bunch of chickens and at first they chased the cats a bit until they kept getting into trouble. Now they just chase the neighbours cats when they come over and they know which ones they have to be nice to. When I got chicks one of the dogs couldn't stop licking his lips and I think its mostly harder to leave them with the younger chicks. If they realize that you love those animals like you love them they should accept them to be part of the "pack" They never look twice at my chickens now.

Now some dogs just don't get it . . . .

5. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Introduce them to your dogs as soon as you get your chicks. I cupped my hands around the chicks and let the dogs sniff. When they tried to bite the chicks they got smacked. After a while they accept that the chicks are part of the family. My lab (also my bird dog) just ignores them and the Beagle is scared of them. Both dogs wanted to eat them the day I brought the chicks home.

Take your time and keep them seperated until you are sure.

6. Margot50

Definitely more optimistic!

7. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My boxer has never been around any small animals her entire life and at 4 years old we introduced chicks. She was interested in them a lot when they were hatching and brooding, by the time they were outside we just always told her no. If she even started near them it was a no. She eventually got used to them. I leave her out with them and she is fine, when she is in a playful mood she tries to play with them and likes them to squawk, but the lead hen always reprimands my dog. She flies at my dog and pecks her. My dog is a 70 boxer and she has a very healthy respect for that one hen.

8. RDMiller1437

RDMiller1437 New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    wow! I'm so glad to here this! I have two male boxers 2years old and 3years old, my grandpa is giving me some chickens for laying and I'm so worried their going to eat them! I quess its just keeping a strong "no". I was wondering if anyone has tried the "shock collar"?

9. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I have had the same experience. We have had 2 sets of chicks and kept both inside until they were ready to go outside. I held them in my hand and introduce them to our 2 dogs. Because they grew up inside the house, the chicks were part of the family and the dogs watched them for the first 5 weeks. We have never had any problems with them. They ignore the chickens unless we are feeding them and they want some of the food!

10. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Look over this option. It would be far less cruel and probably less costly than a shock collar. http://canterlc.com/StopChickenKillerDogs/site/pages/home/

I used to worry about our dogs with the chickens...but now I feel really good about them being together.... and... it is the dogs snitching the chicken's feed that is more of a concern.

Margo50-- Your dogs and chickens can live together in harmony......
    RDMiller1437-- Welcome to the BYC forum!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by