dogs and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lil mama, Mar 13, 2012.

1. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    How do your dogs get along with your chickens?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Well I wouldn't leave them alone together! I have been trying to my dog to be kind to the chooks, whenever she starts to stalk I get her attention, then she should leave them alone, you could also walk them on a leash, and make sure they know that you have to be nice to the chickens..

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    They get along absolutely great. We have a Schnauzer (5yr. old.) She goes out with me every time I go to the coop, roams the yard freely when the chickens are free ranging and runs to the door every time I ask...Wanna go see the chickens. Of course we trained her over a period time from day one when we got the chickens. Schnauzers were originally bred for hunting rodents and ours is a great rodent hunter as well as rabbit & any other little varmints that exist in our area. Once we got chickens I did have to STOP SAYING......Go get the birdies when I let her out!! lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I don't have chickens yet,but my dogs get along with my duck. My 2 bigger dogs love to watch the duck in her house or be on the bed or yard with her & the 2 tiny dogs would rather keep their distance, but they don't make a big deal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    ^^ I have a pit mix too (crossed with Aussie) and she and the chooks do get along well, all she wants is their........ gifts.....

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I love all these pics!! [​IMG] Both of my dogs get along with my girls fine. I've got a pit mix and a dane/boxer mix. When I adopted my dane/boxer mix in September, I had to "teach" her to be gentle, as she knew nothing about chickens. But now, she's fine. My pit mix on the other hand, we have had since he was a puppy, and he learned very early on! That being, after he chased my duck down, and put a hole in her neck, the hubby had to "fix", but she was okay, and healed just fine. No problems since.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

When my broody mama told her chicks they were on their own, Tyson (dog) took over watching them.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. carlye828

carlye828 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Not well at all. She's a 2 1/2 year old Lab and just a pain in the butt overall! I am anxiously awaiting the day when she is old, fat, and lazy. (Well...... Lab lazy, which equals a normal dog!) I would love to let the chickens run free in our fenced backyard all day, but she would kill them. So now the girls only get to get out and run around the last 3 or 4 hours of daylight, unless I want to walk the dog on a leash in the front yard, which I'd rather stab myself in the foot with a screw driver. The dog is an escape artist, no collar, harness, nor choke chain will keep her on a leash if she wants to go.

She has gotten better. When we first got the girls, she used to run straight out there and pounce on the side of our A frame trying to knock the wire out. After being reprimanded a few times, she stopped doing that. I also took her out on a leash in the backyard to discourage her from getting out there and having her fun before I could catch up to her. She still wants to stalk them, but she is quickly redirected. She is loosing interest somewhat because she has resumed her old habit of jumping the gate and running off if I turn my back for half a second, but I would NEVER, EVER let her out, even on a leash, when the girls are out of their enclosure.

Does anybody want a dog?! Hahaha!

10. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    Love all the picture they are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by