dogs and chickies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ki4got, May 11, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Ok, Not sure if this should be posted under raising chicks (i am) or pests (my dogs are being...) LOL

wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and how it resolved... I have 2 standard poodles, 10 years old and 1 year old.

I'm calling them my obsessive/compulsive dogs. shadow's (the 10 year old) obsessing over the chicks, staring at them for hours on end. Sunny (the 1 year old still very puppyish) is the compulsive one. if a chick "flies" (flapping and running) across the tub, he's up and wiggling like a maniac pawing at the chickie tub.

the chicks are assorted breeds of bantams - 13 but I will be removing the roos from the flock. They will have a run/coop in the yard (tractor-style) but I'd like to let them free-range if possible, and would like to get some dual purpose birds down the road with intentions of free-ranging them as well.

I'm wondering if either of them will ever settle down and accept the chicks as part of the "pack". thoughts? suggestions? and no, getting rid of the dogs is not an option.
    thanks

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    A lot of times, it depends on the dog. You may just have to live with supervising them when the chickens are around. Surely, it is better then you're dogs getting a hold of a chicken and killing one.

3. exbiologist

exbiologist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Mead, CO
    My lab does a little of both. He will stare into the brooder forever. He can also be tempted to try to "catch" a chick if it moves too quickly. I little iron fist covered by a velvet glove cured him of that. He still likes to watch them though. He basically ignores the adult chickens, but I hunt with him and he still gets birdy. I didn't ruin him, just needed to explain to him that these girls are off limits. And I free range the chickens. He will compete for treats with them, but won't touch the chickens.

On the other hand, my friend's Samoyed has at least twice caught chicks and cared them around unharmed. That worries me, but so far it's been harmless.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    We have a 10 year old golden retriever. SHe's been out with the chickens but only accidently. I certainly do not trust her.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a black lab who's great with just about everthing. But at 13, and currently having to deal with human siblings who are 4 and 7, he's been there-done that-and got the t-shirt. With proper training I'm sure you could get them to settle down. At 13 years old I trust Mick fully unsupervised with all of the animals I own. However, when he was 2 he couldn't be left alone with a pair of slippers, our expensive stereo system, or anything else that wasn't nailed down and metal plated. The "leave it" command is a great place to start- if they listen to this command it shouldn't be too hard to teach them the chicks are off limits. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by