Dogs and Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sloallie10, Apr 25, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have a question. I dont have chicks/chickens but i want them really bad.
    I asked my parents many times, but there answer is still no.
    I asked them why the reason was, and BOTH my mom and dad said because we have dogs. We have a 9 year old Lab. And a 3/4 year old westie. MY lab is blind. Another reason is cause the neighbors/ city limits. Our next door nieghbors have 2 RIR and 2 new BO. and one time our neighboors complained about noise.

THe real question is What kind of chickens are quiet/pretty/good layers/ you will find at a feed store?

AND how do dogs relate to MOSTLY chicks and chickens?

questions? [​IMG]

2. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    My black lab mix LOVES our chickens. We call her the chicken dog. People are amazed because labs are bird dogs and usualy can't be trusted. But the other day my 5yr old opened the coop door and the chickens got out. The lab came up to me and started whining, then ran back to the coop and started herding the chickens to keep them by the coop.
    And she will mean bark at any of the neighbors dogs that come to the fence close to where the coop is. She's protective.

Here is how happy she is in the mornign when I let the girls out
    [​IMG]
    And here she is walking the fence to make sure things are ok
    [​IMG]

3. in2chickens

in2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    [​IMG] New to this chickent thing, but my chicken is terrified of the dogs. maybe is just an animal instinct. I have also heard that if the dogs imtimidate the chickens it could effect thier laying. But, what do I know I could be wrong. I think your biggest problem is the parents not the dogs. [​IMG] Good Luck

4. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    THAT SOUNDs GREAT! i read that to my dad! what do you think about a younger smaller dog that will probaly pay more attention to the chicks? (she is a smart dog, she whatches tv!)

5. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I would think you would be okay as far as noise goes if you just got pullets and no roosters. They make some noise, but aren't nearly as loud.

My dogs are curious about the chickens and will sniff at them, but when I tell them to "be sweet" they will back off a little. I have smaller dogs, but they are good with the chickens so far. My cat is the one that I worry about. We have a secure pen that we keep them closed in, so the cat and dogs should not be able to get to them. The only thing I worry about now is snakes and rats! We haven't seen any yet, but I'm concerned the feed will attract them.

So my advice is no roosters and to be sure your pen is well-enclosed. It should have a top on it so they can't fly out.

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I've had more problems with smaller dogs, then I have my big hound dog.
    Alot depends on the dogs nature and their training. Some dogs you can trust and some cant.

7. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    thanks... [​IMG]

8. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    do you guys have any ideas on ways to convince my parents?

9. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    All 4 of my toy poodles love the chickens.

As far as your parents I just have one thing to say::

BEG BEG BEG BEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:oh i have done more than that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by