Dogs and electric fence question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by reereechickens, Jul 28, 2011.

1. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! I have finally resorted to electric fence b/c of my dogs and neighbors dogs killing or injuring my chickens.[​IMG] I have my wire 4" from the ground. One dog has touched and been shocked, hopefully she will "get it". My second dog has not touched yet. How do I get the 2nd dog to touch the wire? Lure him with food or push him to touch it, will I get shocked too?[​IMG]

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Trust me, it'll happen soon enough! And if you aren't there, so much the better, because the dog will not get the idea that you have to be there for it to work. I have electric around mine, too, and my dogs stay at least 3 feet away from it at all times (even if it's unplugged). I've also heard the coyotes helping away in the night after trying a sneak attack, and we've seen plenty of possum and coon tracks lead up to the fence, then lead away spread much further apart (a running stride). Not too long after we put the electric in, the number of prints diminished and we haven't had any more coyote visits. I'll never have a coop again without electric fence!

3. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Just let him find it on his own. You don't want to lure him with a treat because then maybe every time you ask him to come to you he may think "no last time I came to you I got shocked" lol. He will find it and figure out that he isn't supposed to go near it. My German Shepherd was always jumping the fence when we went on walks because he wanted out with us. Well we put up the electric wire and he got bit once on his nose and hasn't done it since! That was 3 years ago I think. Good Luck!

4. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Thanks! [​IMG]

5. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    You're Welcome!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by