1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dogs and electric storms

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seedcorn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I've heard it's the static electricity that their hair picks up. So if you pet them w/static cling reducer(those sheets you use in driers), they handle storms much better. Anyone try that? I never think of it during storms as my dog is hiding in garage.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Very interesting! My sisters dog is petrified of electrical storms. He bawls and shakes the whole time! I will have to tell her to try this. [​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I used to have to use herbal calmatives on ours-- but after 4 hurricanes she's been much better, really. BUT, We had a close lightening strike last week that put the cat a foot in the air, and then in hiding for the first time ever, as far as I know!!!

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] All my dogs are hiding, no where to seen during storms. LOL. Bunch of chickens! Can't even say that 'cause the chickens couldn't care less. LOL

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by