Dogs and parvo

Krazy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
California
Has anyone had a dog with parvo virus? Both my dog cought it the same day and died
sad.png
It was awful to see them die. They got there shot but seems not to be working they where only 3 months old.

Them all together

My favorite puppy

Even when they have the virus they seem to be ok. I took a bath for both of them and they will jump and run like always. Then 20 mins later they stop running and just sat still for hours. Thats when I knew something was wrong. I took them to the vet and they said there wasn't any cure but they gave me antibiotics to help him. They wouldn't drink or eat at all. I would have to force water in his mouth. The white one went into a shock before he died. The Spotted one walk into his cage and looked at me before he died. It was really sad
sad.png

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I really think your vet could have done more. Many pups will survive with supportive intensive care.

Gayle
Chi lady in Michigan

Oh So sorry Krazy..... I have lost dogs to that awful disease.it is one of the fastest killers.......... how sad for you............ when I worked in a vet's office.......we kept the dogs that came in with it,in a seperate room and tried to save them with intravenous liquid and meds..most didnt make it.........I do remember the ones who did pull through....... BUT it was so expensive for the owners.... I would check into another vet who was willing to do more and not give up so fast.........only if you can afford the treatment... and also make sure they are using the up to date shots.............. :aww

We lost a pup in January to Parvo just 1 week after we got her. At first we and the Vet thought she was having trouble from her surgery (she was spayed). But within a day we found it was Parvo. Parvo is deadly to young puppies. And it is very rare to have a young one survive. Parvo is a virus that actually eats away at their intestine. The inocculation they receive is given in three doses so they aren't fully protected until they have received the entire set. Also, one problem with puppies is that the natural protection they get from their mothers milk can interfere with the vaccine making it less protective until they are a little older. At the time we had 2 pups. The 1 got Parvo the other didn't. We thought this was wierd because it is highly contagous. But we found out that the healthy pup had been taken from it's mother the day it was born and had been hand fed at the shelter. Since there was no natural immunity from the mother the very first vaccine took.

We recently bought a golden retriever puppy he was 12 weeks old when we got him The owner had a litter of 8 They got parvo at 6 weeks only four survived. Our puppy can not get parvo again but we had to watch because he could pass it on to another puppy who was not innocuated I also notice he has a very sensitive digestive system. He can not have any changes to his diet or he gets diarrhea. He is a very healthly lovable pup and I cant imagine our home without him.

My husband was laid off from work one summer and our beloved rotty got parvo. I couldn't take her to the vet because of lack of funds from my dh being laid off. So I went on line and found that most rotts and dobermans do not survive parvo even with the intervention of a vet. I read what to do for Shiloh and did it. Kept her hydrated as much as possible. Bleached her living quarters 4 times a day. I did a lot. It was so hard. She was so weak and couldn't even lift her head. Online I read that if she survived 4 days then she would recover quickly. And she did! On the 4th day she raised her head and by the end of the day she was sitting up. By the next morning she was walking and eating and drinking. My whole family was amazed! It was a miracle that we really needed at that point. She is the best dog!

Your vet should have done more. You cant just give a parvo pup antibiotics. You have to IV fluid therapy. Parvo attacks the intestinal wall (causing bloody diarrhea) and their body cant absorb nutrients. They may have been saved. I have helped care for 5 parvo pups and ALL survived.

Years ago my sister's pup & mine got it. I had to have mine put to sleep and the vet said that Duke might or might not make it. I took him home the vet said to give him a tablespoon of pepto & a tablespoon of gatorade every hour until he could hold it down. He was so sick he couldn't even move. I did that for 2 days and once he quit throwing up I increased the gatorade a little at a time. By the end of the week he was better but I thought he was going to die for sure. With in a few weeks he had gained all his weight back and you wouldn't have guess he had been so close to death.

So sorry to hear about your pups. Parvo can be heartbreaking (and a lot of work) to deal with.

One time I was treating some pups, and used a calorie paste fed by syringe. (A BIG syringe) I gave calorie paste, and water with electrolytes every hour or two, both by syringe. The vet suggested also spahghetti that had been cooked very soft, including the water ... I don't know why ... but some would take that.

Half the pups (5) survived ... interesting, we had two color types, and all the ones that survived were sables, and the ones that died were all black saddled.

(They had begun their vacs, but were not yet completed ... all were nursed by the mother too.)

I am sorry to hear about your pups though.

trish

Back
Top Bottom