Dogs and Rimadyl

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Stacykins, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It is definitely sad to see a dog I've had for nearly thirteen amazing years start going downhill (he is turnnig 15 in January, we adopted him shortly after his 2nd birthday from a fellow military family). For the past couple of years he has been kinda stiff, but was able to do well. He'd get a low dose aspirin to help with his discomfort (65lb dog, btw). But recently he started doing worse (signs of pain), so off to the vet he went. The plan is for him to be on tramadol for two weeks to get the aspirin out of his system, then put him on rimadyl. Tramadol is an opiate pain reliever, and it makes him a bit zonked, but comfortable.

I've become concerned about the rimadyl, though. That it can cause acute liver damage pretty quickly, even given in proper doses. Noah's liver and kidney function is fantastic (got the blood test results yesterday), and is very healthy otherwise, so I'd hate it if the rimadyl caused his liver to fail. Are my worried unfounded, you think? I am searching for scientific studies on the matter, of course, rather than hearsay. Do you know of any good places to find sound information on dogs and rimadyl? I plan to discuss my concerns when I see the vet next.

All I want is for him to be comfortable. He knows he can't tackle stairs (the house is based around one level though, so he never has to leave the main floor anyway), and for a long time, carpets have been laid down over slick hardwood to make walking easier for him, and favorite sleeping spots are lower. He seems very happy and content, still having the occasional burst of energy and play (deaf as a post so recalling him is hard, haha), and little signs of pain since the tramadol. But I am not sure if the vet wants to keep him on an opiate, even a low dose, indefinitely.

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    At the vet clinic I work at we tell all the owners of Rimadyl dosed dogs "If your dog's appetite decreases stop the Rimadyl right a way and give the vet a call". If you stop the pills immediately the damage is minimal and reversible. We've only had 3 dogs with issues with Rimadyl in the 10 years I've worked there also. Your dog should get regular (annual to semiannual) chemical profiles (blood work) done if on Rimadyl too. As for info most vet offices have brochures on joint pain in dogs. We have a special Rimadyl one also. You can also look at https://www.rimadyl.com
    Are you giving joint supplements to your dog? If not then you definitely should be. My dogs like the Synovi G3 chews but Cosequin Ds is well liked too along with a few others. Also I give a fish oil capsule high in Omega 3's daily to help with inflammation.
    Hope this helps some
    Aprille

3. laredo

laredo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    i am not a scientific study but i adopted a elderly beagle when she was thirteen. we put her down when she could no longer walk at the age of 18. our vet gave us rimadyl for her the last couple of years. she had a collapsed vertebrae. we only gave it to her when she appeared to be feeling and moving slow (caused by her sleeping with her head hanging off her dog bed). i thought rimadyl was a god send! after a pill she would sleep so well and wake up her demanding self again.

4. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    I have an 11 year old GSD with severe arthritis in his back.He also is plagued by a sensitive stomach.My former vet but him on tramadol"as needed".When he started having trouble getting up the three steps on the porch,I took him to my new vet and asked for rimadyl for him.She opted for metacam instead and he is doing very well on it.Apparently it is a safer drug than rimadyl with fewer side effects.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have a 5 year old 95lb. GSD that we took to the vet recently because he was limping on his back leg. After looking at some x rays our vet saw that he has a mild case of hip dyplasia and a cruciate ligament tear in his knee. He's been on rimadyl and tramadol for a about 4 weeks now and they definitely make him feel better. He's having knee surgery on tues. so hopefull after that heals he can be taken off rimadyl. I worry about liver damage also...

I would start giving him joint supplements. It might take a few weeks before you can really see a difference but they do work.

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have a 7 year old boxer with mild to moderate hip dysplasia as well as having torn her cruciate ligaments, in BOTH knees, with repair in both knees. Metacam did nothing for her. She is on Tramadol twice daily (3 times if she needs it) and 1/2 Rimadyl twice daily and will be for the rest of her life. She gets her bloodwork yearly.

I also give her glucosamine supplements twice daily.

I would rather give her a few years pain free than a dozen years in constant pain.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am skeptical about using glucosamine (with or without chondroitin) because in humans, it has been found to be more of a placebo and make people think their arthritis is doing better. But dogs don't exactly experience the placebo affect like people. I've read scientific studies on it, for humans and dogs, and I am not bought on its effectiveness. I guess I am a fan of evidence based medicine.

But I do think I will start him on fish oil, since it can actually help stiffle the arachidonic acid plasma cascade, reducing some of the inflammation response.

8. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I had a young rescue dog with horrible hip problems, my vet had his brother. The brother had to have bilateral hip surgery to correct his problems, my dog wasn't in THAT bad of shape. However, anytime he tried to run with my dog down the slope of my yard, he'd start out pretty good, then end up falling and rolling. [​IMG]

My vet recommended the Sam's brand, Members Mark, human glucosamine/chondroiton, and to give him the adult dose twice a day. Told me it would work just as well and was cheaper than the ones sold at pet stores and vet clinics. She was right! I put him on it, he got to where he was able to run and run and run...my dogs would get to running and playing and he could ALMOST keep up with my other dog. It was sight to see. [​IMG]

9. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    We had wonderful luck with Rimadyl for various ailments. Immediate relief in his joints and swelling reduction after surgeries. The tramadol was too strong for our guy. We had to half whatever the recommended dosage was to keep him comfortable but still functioning.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have a 9 year old beagle that has been treated with Rimadyl for the past two years. I use it symptomatically rather than routinely and so far there have been no problems. I also give her glucosamine/chondroiton supplements. Do they help? Maybe, maybe not, but they don't harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by