Dogs at parks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowltemptress, Sep 16, 2009.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I love camping and hiking, but can someone tell me why every park I go to has some rule against my dogs going into the rivers and lakes?

I'll be walking my dogs, watching the people swimming, splashing, and playing in the water, and all I can do is think to myself, "Y'know, the only difference between those people and my dogs is that my dogs would NEVER pee in the water!" [​IMG]

On second thought, maybe it's a good rule. Don't really want my dogs swimming in that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Its because too many irresponsible dog owners have left a mess for city workers or volunteers to clean up.

Your post is funny!

3. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    I understand that. I just find it hilarious that there aren't rules against dogs walking along the edges, pooping and peeing everywhere, but just against them swimming, where they are pretty certain not to go potty. My chickens, on the other hand, would love to get back at people for stealing their eggs by pooping in their favorite swimming spots, but have to content themselves by hiring ducks for the purpose. [​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I just take my dog places that there aren't any rules. Like the river not far from here, or the fishing side of the lake away from the regulated swimming beach area.

I always kinda figured it was from people letting their dogs run loose and not controlling them. You know, kids who are scared or dogs who can't behave, because it's pretty impossible to require a leash while swimming.

I actually use an expensive 100% waterproof (duck hunting dog) electric collar when she's swimming off leash just incase she decides to ignore me and run off. Hasn't happened yet, but...

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Gee, do they make that collar in a size that would fit a 16 yr old boy??? I mean, um, hypathetically speaking only of course [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, that one made me pee my pants!!!!! [​IMG]

8. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:I don't even want to think about how much those collars cost. Yikes. The dinky little ones cost enough as it is!

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't even want to think about how much those collars cost. Yikes. The dinky little ones cost enough as it is!

It was about $350. It's a Dogtra brand that's highly recommended by trainers because it has 127 intensity settings instead of just a few, and a vibrate only option if your dog is REALLY sensitive. It's also one of the only ones that I could find that BOTH the collar and the remote are supposed to be 100% waterproof.

Really overspent for the # of times we use it. But.
    Well worth the value of my beloved doggy if she was in danger and not listening to me.

And yes, it would fit on a 16 year old boy because the collar that came with it has holes punched every 1/2" ALL the way around! LOL [​IMG]

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Don't need a collar, what you need are CHEERLEADERS!
    Hire two or three to stay near you and you won't be able to get rid of him.....LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by