Dogs attack! >.<

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, about the worst thing in the world happened this morning. One of my own dogs escaped from his pen and invaded my duck pen. It was horrible, feathers every where, my poor ducks scattered in and out of the pen. It took for ever to round everybody up and take a head count.
    Thankfully the mallards were able to fly out of the pen and get them selves out of trouble. My pekin girl and runner drake were not so lucky [​IMG] So now I have one dead duck, my poor beautiful buff runner drake I was soooo proud of, and one duck, my beautiful pekin hen Gloria, in the hospital(in this case a dog crate in the living room). She has a big ol' chunk taken out of her back side, just above the leg. I took a good look at it, and though it is a terrible wound it could have been a lot worse. I did my best to treat it, filling the wound with betadin and letting her swim in a tub full of warm water, and giving her a little peace and quite. So far she seems fine. She hasn't gone into shock and isn't even limping, in fact if I didn't know there was a big ol' gapping hole under her beautiful white feathers I would think she was fine. I'm hoping she continues to take things so well, if anything she seems rather cheerful, waddling around the house when I take her out to look at her and letting me scratch her head and bill. She's such a sweet duck, and obviously very bright and intelligent. If it were one of the mallards in her place I don't think I'd get such calm touching moments with them.
    I'm thinking on trimming the feathers away from the wound, but I was unsure if this was the right thing to do. Honestly, I would appreciate any advice on treating this sort of thing. I feel a little lost, so far I've just been following my own instinct on this but I'm worried about when infection sets in, if it ever does. I'm just not sure whats safe to use on ducks and whats not. For example, would a little neosporin be okay?

I need some help guys, or at least a little reassurance, maybe some stories of your own run ins with sort of thing....anything really [​IMG]

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    I'd be most worried about a secondary infection from the dog's mouth-bacteria. Keep the wound clean and keep the duck comfortable.

3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I don't have any words of advice but [​IMG]

I hope that she feels better soon and that she doesn't get any infection.

4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys...so basically, I should just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best?

5. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi,
    I had exactly the same thing happen about 7 years ago with one of my dogs. I had 2 mallard ducks, and my dog ripped a big hole in one of the ducks side. I put betadine inside the wound and flushed it out using the betadine. I put a black sock loosely over her head (this puts them to sleep so that you can work on them. I took a needle and some white sewing thread, and carefully sewed the skin back together. I ussed betadine on the wound for 3 days, and then just let her go She healed very well, I was so glad I saved her. It is quite easy to sew them up.Hope this helps!

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    You mean to say I can just stitch her up...like a teddy bear with a popped seam? ...I might just try that... I'll probably get my mom to lend me a hand in the morning, she's really the one with the sowing experience...and the nursing experience to boot...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im ao sorry to hear about your runner drake! And the poor little pekin girl!!! she must be hurting!

I had a dog attack twice! I had a little runner duckling that I think was a girl and her name was alex. She was a.lone duckling. Her little buddy had died somehow. So she was a loner. She excaped ferom her brooder off the porch and got on the ground and the dog got her, then a few months later she got my cayuga drake! I was so mad! I will never love that dog again! Well atleased not for a long time. Sorry again! Good luck with your pekin girl!

8. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    My friends chicken was attacked by her German shepard. She got creative and used sticky butterfly stiches from the drugstore ( no needle required. Then she used vetricyn daily within one week she was all healed and even had her feathers fully back.

9. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the help guys! So far she seems to be doing great! Looking as bright and active as ever, she even has a great appitite. The wound looks clean and is healing quickly with little help from me [​IMG] I'm just so happy and suprised that she is taking this all soooo well [​IMG] ...I ended up not stictching the wound up though. I took a good look at it and it just wasn't the sort of wound that needed stictched up, in fact, it wasn't nearly as bad as it had looked that first day. The more I see it the better it looks.

I'm still squirting it down with betadine and letting her take nice warm bathtub swims, it seems to be doing wonders for her. [​IMG]

Again, thanks for all the help and support guys [​IMG] I think this story is going to wrap up nicely [​IMG]

10. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    So what do you do with the dog? Some duck aversion therapy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by